Review of A Summer's Night

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of A Summer's Night

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Summer's Night" by Stephen F. Day.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stephen F. Day weaved a compelling story filled with unique characters and a predicament that carried on to modern times. Set between 1960 and 1975 during the oil boom of the United States, A Summer's Night told the story of a young ménage à trois in the small town of Borderton, New York. It was a town where sex seemed to be a cheap commodity. Randy, Summer, and Barbie tried to navigate the vicissitude of their life while dealing with individual past traumas. Meanwhile, the hunt for "Black Gold" was creating problems in the town. What hurdle would the trio face? Would the aftermath of their trials make or break them?

The first few pages started normally, so I wasn't expecting the romance and lust that would later become frequent in the storyline. It was on a par in description with a mature romance novel. The author did an excellent job of stirring emotions with just words. He explored different sexualities and addressed some sensitive sexual subjects that bordered on reality.

With three main protagonists, it could be tricky to maintain focus. However, the author balanced it well. The main characters had depth and youthful exuberance. Even the side characters felt alive, and I got emotionally invested in them. The backstories helped to establish a sense of relatability. Barbie was my favorite character because I related to her the most. Regardless of her insecurities, she had an aura of confidence in her. The novel's timeline was not written linearly. However, the author made sure to input the year of a particular scene at the beginning for easy tracking. It was a rollercoaster of emotions.

The underlying theme is the effects of oil mining on the earth. I love how the sexual innuendos and analogy tie into the author's core message. The realism of the issue is still here in modern times and has even branched out to other sectors, but it still delivers the same damage to nature. Profanity and strong language were rampant to bolster the author's points.

A Summer's Night was worth the time spent. It was exceptionally edited with no errors. The writing style, plot, and editing culminated in a smooth reading experience. Seeing that there was nothing to dislike, a rating of 4 out of 4 stars is in order. I would recommend it to lovers of contemporary fiction and young adult novels. Because of its vivid sexual description and strong language, I would not recommend it to readers below 18.

A Summer's Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think this is a novel that I would like to read. There is too much sex and romance in the plot for me to really enjoy.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

This is my first time hearing about an oil boom in the United states of America. I didn't know the US ever experienced such lol. Your review was enjoyable from start to finish and perhaps I don't have time to read this book now but I will most certainly love to do so in future.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”