Review of Time Before Time

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Time Before Time

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Time Before Time" by Dan DuBose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Time Before Time is a gripping time travel fiction by Dan DuBose and Beau DuBose. Controversial Professor Emerson Whitmore believes that advanced civilizations existed on earth before modern-day humankind. His peers and mainstream scientists strongly dispute this hypothesis. This hypothesis has even made him kicked out of a teaching role at the university. Consequently, he develops a time machine, a self-powered pod, to take him to the past to confirm that he is right. Since this expedition could have potential dangers, the professor also hires a military veteran, John Chantry. Together, the duo embarks on a journey to the past – one whose outcome is unknown. What will they find out?

There were several things I liked about this novel. First, I liked the various technologies depicted and how their operating mechanisms were well explained. We are introduced to high-tech, sophisticated machines, weapons, and technologies that solve problems that are still beyond the contemporary world. Second, I liked that the story picked up immediately; the authors did not waste any time before introducing the main conflict, making this story exquisitely fast-paced. Another thing that stood out for me about this book was how action-packed it was. The action-packed moments made the book interesting, engrossing, and hard to put down. I also liked how well-organized the scenes were. The organization and the short, engrossing chapters kept me glued as I waited to uncover the ending. All this enhanced my reading experience.

My favorite aspect of this book was how the authors expertly fused fantasy, time travel, science fiction, history, and archaeology to come up with a stimulating read. The characters were also well-developed and given sufficient backstories. These added to my enjoyment of this remarkable novel.

Overall, there was absolutely nothing I disliked about this book. I found some errors, but they were not enough to influence my final rating. I believe the book was professionally edited. Therefore, I am pleased to give it the highest score of four out of four stars. This book deserves each of those the stars I've awarded it.

I highly recommend this book to fans of fast-paced, action-packed, and well-written novels. In particular, readers who like science fiction, fantasy, archaeology, the history of ancient civilizations, and stories featuring intergalactic wars will greatly appreciate it. The world-building is excellent, the characters are well-developed, and it is interesting to read. I am looking forward to reading more works by the authors.

Time Before Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Gene_2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gene-2.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Gene_2 »

This must be an interesting book filled with adventure. Good review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Wow, this book is so interesting. I like science fiction. Looking forward to reading it. This is a very nice review!
Dirk Jacobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dirk-jacobs.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Dirk Jacobs »

A good review that makes me want to find out what they really uncover in the past and just how powerful the ancient civilization must have been.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Time machines!!! 🤩. One of the reasons I love sci-fi is the fact that it keeps my brain extremely active. I am not just reading, I am juggling physics and chemical laws and finding answers. Meanwhile, this was a nice review, thanks for pointing out one major life lesson, "Pursue your dream, even if you get kicked out on the streets".
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

Is time travelling even still a thing? I was hoping it would be true even when I was still a child. it felt so cool to imagine being able to go back in time or change a thing or two from the past. I'm curious to know if they ever found out that the professor was right though?
G D H
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Americanah
Currently Reading: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-d-h.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by G D H »

Excellent! Simply excellent! Learning about this book reminds me of what it felt like reading “Legacy” by Sean T. Smith. In it, we find the hot-headed Jessica who, unlike Professor Whitmore, was not actually concerned with whether or not advanced civilisations preceded humans on earth, but with how implausible it was that humans had actually evolved from early man. However, while Whitmore had the monumental genius to build a time-winding pod that could take us all to the past with him to uncover the truth, it took lots of flashbacks and plenty of merited luck for Jessica to restablish the real facts on which the plot of “Legacy” is hinged.

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. By the end of the first paragraph I just could tell that this one was “specially” written for me, and its two lines of recommendation succinctly confirms it. Believe it or not, I have never read a co-authored work of fiction before. Two minds, Napoleon Hill says, create an unseen third that shatters limits; I would love to see how the Duboses’ manages to launch Time Before Time unto the extra mile of sci-fi writing.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I enjoyed reading your review and from your review it is evident that the book have an interesting plot. Wonderful review welldone!!!
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

I thought it was quite clever of the author to guide his readers along by explaining every technology that was used. I'm curious if time travel is actually possible.
Kelly Awino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kelly Awino »

your review is well-written which makes me want to read the novel.
Ol Yinks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ol-yinks.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ol Yinks »

Your review has sparked my interest in this book. Well done!
Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie
Currently Reading: In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-kristine-dakoykoy-rennie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B0BNMD3CFC

Post by Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie »

At first, the title actually stunned me, so I decided to read your review. I knew it, the book was about technology, and traveling in a time machine. Wonderful review!
8-) :techie-studyinggray:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Archaeological science fiction is tricky because the author must create a consistent story that includes both pieces of history that become part of a fictional tale that can go far beyond the Earth. That's exactly what happens in this novel, which seems to be successful in doing this subgenre. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I love action-packed books, and the fact that this entails time travel makes it even more thrilling. I am happy to read that the authors introduced the main conflict without wasting too much time. I look forward to following Professor Emerson and John in their expedition. Many thanks for the review. :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”