Review of Italia Lirica

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review of Italia Lirica

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Italia Lirica" by Mark Gordon Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What makes life so exciting are the endless possibilities. There are so many places to see and wonderful people to meet. The sense of wonder that travel brings is very evident in Mark Gordon Smith's Italia Lirica. In this book, the author takes you on a trip down the cobblestone streets of Italy while telling about the places he visited, the people he met, and the sentiments he felt towards the culture and history of these places.

This book reads like a travel essay, with particular attention to the details. The author narrates his visit to Italian museums, churches, and other antique places. He usually looks for lesser-known places, which, for him, reveal more about Italy than any other popular cities. The author paints very vivid pictures in the reader's imagination, allowing one to clearly visualize the beauty of all the places he's visiting. What I like the most about this book is the author's emotional musings. He confesses so much appreciation for Italian culture and history, weaving them into his own sentiments about the human experience.

The author also makes perceptive social commentary, particularly about the new generation's waning interest in art. It shows that art is at the heart of Italian culture, and people should make efforts to preserve it. Aside from the beautiful descriptions, the author also provides old pictures showing artwork, places, and people relevant to his stories.

If there are any minor issues that I should mention, one of them will be the fact that the narrative can be painfully detailed, making it hard to read at times. The author sometimes provides accurate instructions on how to get to a certain place, and discussions of history can often read like academic papers. I'm not subtracting a star because I feel like these are only my personal opinions. These didn't really affect my overall enjoyment of the book. Others may find this book particularly useful and enjoyable to read.

I am giving this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The writing style of the author fits the narrative that he's trying to sell. The book can have emotional resonance, especially when it involves the author's sentimental ideas. I did not see any errors, so the editing must be excellent. The book will be perfect for people who enjoy reading about a narrative that has a melancholic or nostalgic feel to it. I will highly recommend this book to those who are interested in European travel essays, especially about Italian history and culture.

Italia Lirica
View: on Bookshelves
Lay-cee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lay-cee.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Lay-cee »

I agree with you that Wwat makes life so exciting are the endless possibilities. There are so many places to see and wonderful people to meet and I like thatthe author also provides old pictures showing artwork, places, and people relevant to his stories. 
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

i like the detailed nature of this book through the adventures that were done in this books plot. it feels like a guide for tourist but more interesting because of the different tales and perspectives.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

Mark Gordon Smith seems to share the same passions as I do. Traveling is therapeutic for me. I keep wondering at how large our round planet earth is and how there are so many places to go to. There are so many things to do. Perhaps, I would give Italia Lirica a try.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”