Review of The Purple Raccoon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Review of The Purple Raccoon

Post by Eunice Geres »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Purple Raccoon" by Sara Furlong.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cindy and Sam are spending their summer at their grandparents' cottage near Lake Muskoka. What they thought would be a boring vacation turned out to be the most fun-filled adventure for both of them. And it all started with their grandfather’s story.

When grandfather was just a young boy, he met a talking purple raccoon named Rosco. Rosco asks the young boy to save his other colorful friends by finding a stone that will take all the colorful and talking animals to a magical world where they can all be safe. After a thrilling adventure, the young boy managed to help Rosco and the others. In The Purple Raccoon by Sara Furlong, the colorful animals need help again. This time, it will be Cindy and Sam taking on a quest to save the colorful animals.

This book is the type of book that would've stayed with me for the rest of my life if I had read it when I was in grade school. It has such a fun adventure that children would be thrilled to read. It was also great that the main characters were not only brave but also witty. Children reading this book would appreciate the plot twist in this novel.

I loved every aspect of this book, except for one thing. The grandfather’s story was written in first-person POV, and the flow of the novel alternately changes from the present time to the grandfather’s backstory within the first few chapters. I wished that grandfather’s backstory was italicized so it would stand apart from the current time. However, it didn’t affect my enjoyment when reading this novel.

In conclusion, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I loved the adventures and the charming and witty characters. The narration was enthralling. I only noticed a few grammatical mistakes. I think children would definitely enjoy this book. The book cover was also enchanting and set the mood for a fantasy book.

I would recommend this to children aged 9 to 12 years old. Most of my favorite children’s books were books I read when I was at that age. I’m sure this would leave a great memory for the readers.

The Purple Raccoon
View: on Bookshelves
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Book for kids always meet me well!😊 The book cover is cute too. Thank you for the great review.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

This sounds like a really fun adventure book. I love that you feel like this is the kind of book that would have stayed with you as you grew up: always a big thumbs up for something that can have such an impact.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Amazing review! You've perfectly summed up the gist of the book in your review.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Edit_or wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 15:06 Book for kids always meet me well!😊 The book cover is cute too. Thank you for the great review.
I agree the cover illustration is very cute!
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

What an interesting premise. I think my son will enjoy this story immensely. Thank you for such a great review.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

That is such a clever idea. I believe this story will be a huge hit with my son. I appreciate your excellent review. I love it.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

This is such an outstanding review. Every child's library should include this book. I'm eager to share it with my niece to read.

Return to “Children's Books”