Review of Strength of an African Woman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Strength of an African Woman

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strength of an African Woman" by Michael C. Tredway.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strength of an African Woman by Michael C. Tredway is a story about the journey of a young Eritrean woman traumatised by the civil war between her country and Ethiopia but seeking a better life. She runs away from home to avoid conscription which is mandatory military service for a period of two years. Sarah faces physical and mental abuse after being captured by Eritrean officials. She is forced into induction and training at the women’s military training centre. In a bid to escape, Sarah runs fifty miles across the Eritrean desert to the Ethiopian border. She makes lifelong relationships as she navigates through Ethiopia and Uganda. After several years of distasteful relationships, Sarah meets Eric, a white South African man she falls in love with. She gets pregnant with his child and moves to his home country with him as his wife. Her marriage takes an unexpected turn when Eric becomes abusive and withdrawn. This is a story about Sarah’s faith in God and the lessons she learned from life.

I love that the book was very informative about the history and the struggles of people in different parts of the world. It divulges the personal strains of people looking to make a better life for themselves. The main concept of Christian spirituality and belief in God was carefully instilled into the reader’s mind. The benefits of having it as a lifestyle were prominent throughout the text. I admire the stimulating storyline behind Strength of an African Woman. It tells a story that educates and inspires both men and women to be steadfast, brave, and believe in God. The story of Sarah also gives inspiration to women to be independent and self-reliant in all they do. The entire story was lucid; it was straightforward and comprehensible. The author’s ability to take such a vast story and make it short and enthralling is truly laudable.

There are a couple of errors in this book, but apart from that, I found nothing else to be underwhelming about it. It was a great story with an even greater message.

I would have removed one star owing to the errors, but they weren't enough to warrant the removal of a star. I rate this book four out of four stars. Overall, it was a fascinating read and was professionally edited.

I recommend Strength of an African Woman to every female, regardless of age. Every woman going through any challenge and looking to draw strength from anyone for sustenance should read this book. This book contains many values to imbibe. It offers inspiration to anyone willing to grasp and act upon the information contained in it.

Strength of an African Woman
View: on Bookshelves
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

The title invited me to the book and made me click on it. From the review, I can see that the book talked about God, faith and belief, which are all interesting topics.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

This books seems like a story I would enjoy as there are a few points that feel personally relatable to me.
The review was very well written and gives enough insight in the book, so you can decide if it is something you would enjoy. Thank you!
Luchris Curtis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-curtis.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by Luchris Curtis »

The story of this book revolves around the ordeals of Sarah as she tries to escape conscription into the military service. She encountered a lot of challenges, and I'd love to know if she survived. Thanks for your honest review.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

I admire people who despite life's greatest challenges, choose to fight. Great review.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

Sarah is a resilient character. Her story of strength and rejecting abuse would be a perfect one for women in the black community. More women should realize that they have the strength to reject external inflicted suffering, even if it means fighting or running away.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Being from Africa this book is something I can easily identify with. I have seen first hand the ravages of civil wars.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

Judging by your review, this would be an interesting read. Would love to get more details about the book. Great review by the way.
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

I love that the book was very informative about the history and the struggles of people in different parts of the world. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”