Review of Georgie and the Magic Palm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Review of Georgie and the Magic Palm

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Georgie and the Magic Palm" by Sue Carver.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Georgie and the Magic Palm is a children's book by Sue Carver that tells, in a simple style, the story of a young girl named Georgie in her destined quest to save the land of Adriana from her first cousin, Count Mosca. Her parents, King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella had, in an attempt to save her life after Count Mosca had taken over the Crystal Castle, entered into the Pool of Destiny, where they sacrificed their lives so she could be saved. At a very young age, she comes back to the kingdom through the Magic Palm with her pets. Her coming back sets in motion the need of the people to take back their kingdom, and they declare war against Count Mosca. Count Mosca seeks the help of the black dogs and flies of Moraira to join in the fight. He also goes back to Georgie's world, where he has to kill her to remain in power. Georgie is only an innocent young child who must battle against the power-hungry and desperate Count Mosca. Will she succeed and save the people of her land, or will she be destroyed by the evils of Count Mosca?

There are several positive aspects of the book. First, the book is written in a simple, understandable manner. Second, the author did a good job in the use of the characters. The use of animals and children as major characters is commendable. Third, the storyline is unique, and there is a reasonable use of suspense. For example, I kept wondering what would likely happen after Count Mosca entered the Pool of Destiny, what creature he would transform into, and how Georgie would be able to defeat him, considering her circumstance.

I can only identify two negative aspects of the book. In the book, it was prophesied that Georgie would have to fight off Count Mosca in her world. However, when he had come, this had not happened. It seems like the battle was fought by Susanna, her mother, and the King and Queen, who came in the form of Jays. Secondly, even though the book is a children's book, some actions that were done by children are not plausible. For example, the conversations Georgie had, especially in the land of Adriana, and the decisions she had to take cannot be made by a child of her age.

The book does not contain errors. This show that the book was professionally edited. Despite the negative aspects identified above, I will still rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It was a fantastic read, and the negative aspects did not affect my satisfaction with the book.

As stated above, this is a children's book, and thus, I recommend it to children interested in magic and the supernatural.

Georgie and the Magic Palm
View: on Bookshelves
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

I'd love to know if the evils of count Moscow destroyed the Gorgie or if she was able to conquer.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

The children and animals in this book are a great idea. This is a book that will teach morals and leadership skills.
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

I wonder if Georgie was able to succeed in the battle against Count Mosca or if she was destroyed by it. I would have to read this book to find out. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

For a children's book, this book has such a wonderful story. I would certainly love to read it as I wonder if Georgie would succeed or not. Thanks for the beautiful review.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I love the methods employed by the author to ensure that the book is enjoyed by its readers. I would love to find out how Georgie succeeds, that is, if she does.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

I love that the book contains no errors. I don't think I like seeing errors, especially in children's books. I would love to learn how the story ended. Thank you for a well-detailed review.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

I love how well-written the book appears to be. It also seems to have a wonderful storyline which I will ensure to check out myself. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”