Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure

Post by viczboy16 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bullying is a significant problem that many schools deal with. If mishandled, it could have a terrible impact on the victim. Catherine A. Pepe details the experiences that Donny, a 5-year-old boy with down syndrome, and his 10-year-old sister, Mary Grace, had while schooling in California in her book Donny and Mary Grace’s California Adventure.

Donny falls asleep on a tram while having fun at the Sedgwick County Zoo in Wichita. When his family searches for him and finds him, they all rejoice and go back home. Later, the Episcopal Church calls their parents to serve as missionaries in Africa. They decide to send their children to live with their grandparents in California after giving it some thought. The kids fly to California to meet their grandparents there. Grandma then registers the children at North Elementary. A few days after classes resume, Mary Grace finds a strange threat note hidden inside her desk. She is forced to tell Grandma about the note. Grandma contacts the school, and an investigation starts. Do they ever discover who the culprit is? What part of the note worried Mary Grace? Does she get any other mysterious notes? Read the book to find out more.

This book was enjoyable to read. The author used plain English that was easy to understand for both children and adults. Readers can learn from Mary Grace's character. Despite the threat, she was kind and had a forgiven heart. The book also addresses bullying by informing children that there are consequences for all forms of bullying. It also emphasizes the different types of bullying, pointing out that it can happen in a variety of ways. The forms include physical violence as well as verbal or written abuse.

The author's decision to lengthen the book was one thing that disturbed me. Although the book's title depicts the adventures that Mary Grace and Donny had in California, those events weren't actually discussed until the eighth chapter, when they arrived at the airport there. Also, because it's a children's book, the author should have left out the information about Father Randall and his husband, Bill, because most parents would be uncomfortable with their children reading about a male church leader being married to a man.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I have deducted a star from my rating because it contains sensitive information that might not be appropriate for children. Me not finding any errors in the book shows it was exceptionally well-edited. I recommend this book to young readers who enjoy mysteries. This book would be a favorite among high school students.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

I read this book, and I admire the character of Donny. He is always cheerful and happy despite his condition.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html

Post by viczboy16 »

Micah_1 wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 09:19 I read this book, and I admire the character of Donny. He is always cheerful and happy despite his condition.
I agree with you
Donny’s character is a big motivation to kids with abnormalities.
Gifty_biblophile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-biblophile.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Gifty_biblophile »

I enjoyed reading your book. There is a lot to learn from this book. Kids with abnormalities that need special attention Would be motivated from Donny’s joyful attitude after reading this book.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I have read this book and I enjoyed it. I liked how Mary Grace handled the situation of bullying and her love to her brother. Great review.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Bullying is an issue that should be addressed worldwide. Many children suffer silently because they may be ashamed to say what they go through. I am glad that this book discusses this issue and puts it in the light. This is also an adventurous book that all can enjoy. I love your summary of the book. It is amazing.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I like how this book gave hope to Donny. I also love the connection between Mary grace and her brother Donny. Although Donny has a disability, he was loved by many other characters. Teenagers would emulate love from this story and would definitely not be judgmental to others despite their status or looks.
Valeria Riveraa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-riveraa.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Valeria Riveraa »

I must say I haven't seen a pure form of sibling love emitting from characters as it does from Donny and Mary Grace. I love that Mary Grace does not limit Donny to the things he can do or even consider him as disabled. I love everything about this book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”