Review of Son of a killer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Son of a killer

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Son of a killer" by K D Lewis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Son of a Killer by K. D. Lewis is a true story about the author's life. Kordale, his brother, and his sister were raised by their single mother, Plum. Plum was a crackhead who spent all of their money on drugs. Their father, Rodney, was serving two life sentences in prison for two murders. Kordale and his siblings never had a secure home or enough food. Kordale often overheard people say he was as crazy as his father. Although Plum took them to the prison to see their father when Kordale was five years old, he did not know anything about him. None of his father's family ever talked about Rodney, and Plum was secretive. Kordale survives his childhood and has three children. His children become curious about their grandfather, so he decides to take his children to meet their grandfather in prison. What does he find out about his father? Is he just like his father? What do the children think of their grandfather? Did Kordale do the right thing when he took his children to meet their grandfather? Why did Plum choose drugs over her children? You will need to read this fascinating book to get these and many more questions answered.

K. D. Lewis has done a fantastic job describing the characteristics of his family members, friends, and others who played a role in his life. He starts his story by describing his great-grandmother, who had her first child at 12 years of age, and her determination to provide for her family. K. D. Lewis leaves nothing out of this book to show how his and his siblings' lives were controlled by secrets, confusion, drugs, insecurity, and poverty. I found it particularly heartbreaking when the children were removed and separated from each other. I could understand his heartbreak at losing his family, even though he knew his mother could not provide for them. Furthermore, I found the connection between animal abuse and a killer gripping. The family pictures, Rodney's criminal profile, and the newspaper article made the story more realistic.

This book is a very emotional read, but there was nothing I disliked about it. The only thing I would recommend to the author would be to have the book edited by a professional editor because they would have found the many mistakes it contains.

I gladly give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have given it the maximum rating if it were not for the mistakes in the book. The admiration I have for the author for telling his story does not allow me to give it a lower rating.

I recommend this book to mature adults who enjoy reading memoirs or crime thrillers because this book fits in both categories. Sensitive readers need to be aware that this book contains bestiality, homosexuality, murder, drug abuse, child abuse and molestation, racism, and non-borderline profanity.

Son of a killer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Wow, what a compelling book, thank you for your review. It must be very hard to have parents or even ancestors who were criminals, and I command the author's bravery for talking/writing about it. Like for any other criminals' relatives, it is unfair for Kordale and his siblings to have to suffer the consequences of their parents' actions. Society doesn't help either as they don't let people forget, like when they assume Kordale is "as crazy" as the father he doesn't even know.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

I always enjoy reading memoirs, biographies and auto-biographies because I learn quickly from the mistakes of the authors. You review have adequately discussed the theme and sub-themes of this book and you also used a cliffhanger effectively at the end of the first paragraph to arouse the interest of readers. This is considered as a great way of prompting people to read the book.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

It is horrifying to think that this is a true story. I am putting this on my want-to-read list.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

I enjoy reading true life stories, cause it motivates me and help me learn from people's experiences. I'll surely check this out. Thanks for the review
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

This is a very touching story. I'm curious to find out what happened in the book.
Juliet Keith
Currently Reading: Think and Live Longer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-keith.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Juliet Keith »

I do not know the author personally but they must be such a strong soul. Some things are not easy to think about let alone write about. This is a must read.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

This story is so touching and emotional.
I'll read it to know well.
Dami Bassam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dami Bassam »

This book is plenty of bad situation. Plum ,the mother of Kordale use drugs, Rodney the father is in prison.Kordale do many big efforts to success in life and give nice education to his children. Plume use drugs and poverty,we can't check the best life. Kordale do many efforts to change his family life. We say: many thanks to Mr Kordale.
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

I do commend the authors openess and courage to share his life story and experiences. The sensitive content however, might put me off. Thanks for this enthusiastic review.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

It's nice to learn that Kordale survived the worse conditions at home. It's hard to explain to your children about their grandfather when he is a prisoner due to murder cases. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”