Review of Family Gap Year

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Review of Family Gap Year

Post by Adaeze Joan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Family Gap Year" by Sheila Maloney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sheila always dreamt of having a good husband and family, a secure job, and a nice house. She achieved her goals but felt unfulfilled and grew increasingly unhappy about her and her family’s overscheduled life.

Family Gap Year: How We Moved to Brazil, Dropped Our Overscheduled Lives, and Created a Sustainable, Happy Future for our by Sheila Maloney is a short memoir of fourteen chapters. It tells the story of a lawyer who desperately wanted to take her family away from their busy life. She felt a trip to Brazil was the best solution. She tells readers that they don’t need to be wealthy to take a family vacation. The only thing required is careful planning. She encourages readers to pursue their goals while they are still able to do so to avoid regrets.

Though the author had a lot of complications in her life, her tone was calm. I could sense her hunger for inner freedom. Her writing was straightforward and easy to read. This book features a variety of exciting themes, including adventures, culture, family, and love. The author took us through her exciting journey in Brazil. Readers are exposed to the amazing art and culture, food, history, events, and other exciting places in Brazil. Reading about this family’s amazing adventures and how they were able to move away from their busy schedule in the U.S. made me realize that no matter how busy your life may seem, you should always put family first.

Honestly, there was nothing I disliked about this book. It seems exceptionally well-edited, as I found no errors in it. Therefore, I rate Family Gap Year: How We Moved to Brazil, Dropped Our Overscheduled Lives, and Created a Sustainable, Happy Future for our Family by Sheila Maloney 4 out of 4 stars. A lot of people are scared to go out of their comfort zones to acquire new experiences. They would learn from this book that it is okay to take risks and try new things that may seem beneficial. I enjoyed this book a lot, especially how the author described their year in Brazil.

This book is a delightful read that exposes readers to a lot of exciting experiences. Though I don’t know much about Brazil and have never been there, reading this book gave me an insight into what a typical person’s life may be like there. It is definitely a place worth visiting. I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading memoirs, especially ones that contain a lot of family adventures.

Family Gap Year
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

The author is wise to discover that good planning is key to having fun with a family and not being wealthy. It's nice that she managed her resources well. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

A lot of people think that only the rich should have the luxury of going on a vacation. This book proves that theory to be wrong. Thanks for the review.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

It's very true that life begins outside our comfort zone. Money isn't always everything too. But family means alot. I'm glad she could discover a way to bring her family together.
Ivan Mukaaga
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-mukaaga.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ivan Mukaaga »

This book really talks about life’s facts.Sheilla, after achieving her goals, still not happy. What is the source of real happiness? I need to read this book? Thanks for the good review.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

The title of the book told us what to expect from the book. An adventure to foster family bonding is very thoughtful, and I am looking forward to learning more about Brazil and its people.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

An entire year as vacation, that's mind blowing. Like the author mentioned, planning is key here. Just to look at the book cover itself takes your mind to those summer holidays. I can't wait to discover more through the book about Brazil, the customs, the food...
Marissa Mikhail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marissa Mikhail »

I agree we do have to get out of our comfort zones. We will not experience life as much if we don’t the most best experiences are sometimes when you are uncomfortable and with that comes growth as a person as well. We cannot stay in the same place all the time life is for living.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

Indeed spending time with family on vacations is a great way to facilitate love and family bond.
Vannessa Nuwuses
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vannessa Nuwuses »

Family gap year is a amazing book that in-tells the freedom the writer wanted from her daily life. The writer sets aside her whole families normal life and activities for an entire year and takes an extended trip to Brazil, her home country. The family enjoyed family time and explored new places. The children did not have to hear stories about their moms home town but experience them personally. Maloney decided she and her family would make a major life change.For one year, they moved to Brazil, where writers mother is from and where she herself was born. The whole experience as she describes sounds amazing. From how she could hear and literally smell the salt from the water to how fresh almost all the food they ate was. I loved this booked I give it 100% for how easy, imaginative and direct the writing was.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I will definitely love to read a book about vacation.
Great review.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

Families truly do not know the importance of a vacation. It helps strengthen bonds and good relationship among family members. I look forward to reading this book, I would like to know how Sheila and her family spend their vacation. Great review.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

This book sounds interesting, and your review is captivating, I will look for this book and read it. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”