Review of Friends From Long Ago

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Friends From Long Ago

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Friends From Long Ago" by Clemencia Sánchez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes, we get help from people or circumstances we least expect. But then, such people have malicious intentions or need unimaginable favors in return. What happens when such times come? A horned toad and baby tortoise face such a precarious situation in Friends From Long Ago by Clemencia Sánchez.

The author introduces us to two friends: a horned toad and a baby tortoise. While the duo was pals from long ago, they were remarkably distinct. It's the baby tortoise's second birthday, so she goes out in anticipation of celebrating the day joyfully. But there is one unfortunate incident. Baby tortoise hears screams of help, only to find the horned toad on the verge of drowning.

Nonetheless, the baby tortoise cannot swim, so she goes out to find help. Many of those she encounters along the way utter excuses of their helplessness, while others cannot swim. Everything seems to go south until the baby tortoise meets a swindler fox. He has a duck friend who may help. Unfortunately, the swindler fox has malicious intentions! What is the fox's intent besides helping the horned toad?

I enjoyed how the author brings out real-life lessons. You may be in a harsh situation and expecting help from your dearest companions, only for them to disappoint you. Looking at the book in another dimension, the author encourages readers to never lose hope even when it seems pointless.

You have that one friend who never gives up on you. Dear child, please cherish that buddy because they're hard to come by. The baby tortoise was that special friend to the horned toad. Given the valuable lessons and vibrant illustrations, I grant the book 4 out of 4 stars.

Furthermore, I only found a handful of missing and wrongly inserted punctuation marks. Thus, Friends From Long Ago is well edited. I encountered nothing not to like. I recommend it to children who love animals and books about loyal friends.

Friends From Long Ago
View: on Bookshelves
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

Ths is an adventurous book. I like the lessons that the book teaches. Kids would definitely love the characters.
Nice review.
queen anirah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-anirah.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by queen anirah »

I think the fox is going to harm the toad or tortoise because fox’s are known for their cunning nature. Nice review

Return to “Children's Books”