Review of A Thousand Stones

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of A Thousand Stones

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Thousand Stones" by Michael D Sanford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War has a mystic nature. It is a disaster where lives are lost, communities and families are shattered, and properties, buildings, cities, and historical monuments are burnt to the ground. An event everyone tries to avoid.

Michael D. Sanford's A Thousand Stones is a historical fiction centered on love, lust, and war. It is about activist students during the Vietnam war, criminal activities, love, pain, loss, sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

Nate Davette Cooper, a 19-year-old, moves to Europe for academic endeavors but faces a lot of adventures and near-death experiences. He was presumed dead, made a lot of friendships and reconnections, few of which he lost, felt love and lust, and learned how to stand for what he believed in and not be belittled. He also made many life-changing decisions.

The positive aspects of this book are many. I have never really been a fan of historical novels, which is why at first, I was bored. There was a lot of information to process. There were also many German, French, and Irish Gaelic names and words that I could not pronounce and understand, but the author tried to explain some of them. It was also fun learning about different cultures and ways of life. I love that the author did not only create a plot on war. There were other characters' stories that were about love and also fun teenage experiences. I also learned life-changing lessons from this book. One of which is “you always have a choice, and no one can take it away from you if you stand by it.” If Nate had not stood his ground and changed flight, he would have died like the others. I also learned a lot about some facts that happened in history, as some of the events that the author wrote happened, like the Vietnam war and the image of Guerrillero Heroico photographed, etc. I loved what happened to the villains in the book. I liked that there was a bit of a fantastical element added by the author in the book because he believed the Irish had fae origin. For example, Nate could see the future by reading leaves used to make a cup of tea. This book is full of adventures, and I had fun reading it.

The negative aspect of this book is that though the book was really fun to read and the author tried to explain some of the languages he used in the book, not all were explained. I could not understand some jokes made by the characters in the book and some statements made.

I will be rating this book 4 out of 4 because you can never predict what will happen next, and it is well written. I found no reason to deduct a star. I loved the plot and characters. It was also exceptionally well-edited; there were no vulgar words or typos to be found in this book.

I will recommend this book to people who love or are fans of historical fiction, love, and romance. I will also recommend this book to adults.

A Thousand Stones
View: on Bookshelves
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

I like historical books, and this one seems intense. How did the protest go? I would like to know. I also like that it's difficult to predict what would happen next in the book. This makes for a good book. Your review was nice.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

Nate Davette us sure an interesting character. I love romance and I'm all for reading this book. I hope I understand the joke better. Great review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

War has never been a good thing! Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the awesome review.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

I love historical fiction with a little romance attached. Nice review.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

This book is very engaging as it concerns young adults who are very keen in exploring new things. This book describes life experiences for young adult.
Thank you for the review
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

Looking at the comments above, though I pass the fiction section, it'd be interesting to hear what role love and sex have to play in a war zone.
The book cover kinda looks like a marijuana leave...is that the entertainment in wartime?
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I am a little unclear on what the book is about.The cover gave me a completely different assumption compared to the review. It does catch my interest being presumed dead and it seems Nate has a nack for getting into interesting situations.
layla mashaba
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by layla mashaba »

I love how the name of the book is relevant to the plot of the book when you actually deeply think about it.and the fact that its historic makes more interesting,its not too fantasy like
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

War is never good, that's why everyone tries to avoid it. Thanks for the review.
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

I like reading historical fiction, and this book seems interesting. But the fact that there are some expressions which are unintelligible might prove off-putting. Nice and honest review though.
Odane Hemans
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Odane Hemans »

Nate Davette was not only lucky for serviving his near death experience he was brave,he was bold and with the help of his friends he will conquer anything.
Wamala Elijah Mul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliwamala.html

Post by Wamala Elijah Mul »

This book is fascinating because it focuses on a group of young adults who are eager to experience the world. This book recounts the stories of modern-day adolescents.
For the evaluation, we express our gratitude.
1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?
17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.
Wamala Elijah Mul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliwamala.html

Post by Wamala Elijah Mul »

This book is fascinating because it focuses on a group of young adults who are eager to experience the world. This book recounts the stories of modern-day adolescents.
For the evaluation, we express our gratitude.
1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?
17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

Great Review! All thought I like historical fiction, I'm not a fan of war books. Also, if I get lost by too much information that takes place in the story, I get bored. I am glad you came out of it with some life lessons.

Return to “Historical Fiction”