Review of My Big Tow Book#2

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review of My Big Tow Book#2

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Big Tow Book#2" by Kyle Chirgwin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Big Tow Book #2 by Kyle Chirgwin is an informative children's book, the second installment in a series. A five-year-old Darren loves to play with his toy tow truck. He calls it "Big Blue." Darren has a sister, Kaylee, a loving Auntie Lisa, and two Labradors, Kody and Balto. While playing with Big Blue, Darren imagines himself as Captain Recovery, a skilled tow operator always ready to conduct necessary recovery work. Teamed with Chief Hoffy and his crew from the fire department, Captain Recovery helps them to avoid potentially dangerous situations. Kody is always by his side while Balto assists Kaylee and Auntie Lisa at the base.

I like that the book describes the work of tow truck operators in vivid detail. In my opinion, the narrative is very engaging. Also, the kids have an opportunity to learn many new terms regarding the towing business. It would expand their vocabulary and inspire them to learn more about this interesting profession. I liked the friendship and cooperation between Darren and his sister, Kaylee. For example, Darren wants Kaylee to be included in his games with Big Blue. It is worth mentioning that the book sends out an important for children message about safety on the roads and environment protection as Captain Recovery with the fire department crew tries to prevent fuel leakage to the drain system. Another great aspect of the book is that it encourages children to love animals. Kody and Balto are lovable four-legged characters, and the scenes with Captain Recovery playing with both dogs or patting Kody before getting to work are touching. Also, I like that the book motivates children to be creative and follow their imagination.

I found some mistakes, like a missing comma before the direct address. Nevertheless, I would say that the book was professionally edited. At the same time, I would suggest another round of proofreading as the writing style requires some improvements. The author overuses the conjunction "and." Thus, the sentences are too long. For example, "Captain Recovery backs Big Blue up to the train engine’s back side and after giving Kody a nice pat on the head, to which Kody responds with a “woof,” and he hops out of Big Blue." It was my less favorite aspect of the book.

Nevertheless, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't take away a star because of the high educational value of the book and the wonderful bright illustrations by gifted Lynn Mohney.

I recommend this book to children from 6 to 10 years of age. Parents and teachers would enjoy the adventures of Captain Recovery, for this inspirational book provides us with many captivating details of tow truck operators' everyday tasks and activities.

My Big Tow Book#2
View: on Bookshelves
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwatosin-balogun.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Oluwatosin Balogun »

I don't like children stories but this wonderful review has managed to convince me that this book is worth a try. Awesome review.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

What's not to like? You observed so many things about the book that are important to me, I really enjoyed reading your great review. It's good to know the author has written responsibly by including messages about safety, respecting animals, protecting the environment and so on.
While playing with Big Blue, Darren imagines himself as Captain Recovery, a skilled tow operator always ready to conduct necessary recovery work. Teamed with Chief Hoffy and his crew from the fire department, Captain Recovery helps them to avoid potentially dangerous situations.
That made me laugh. It was lovely to have some insight into the child's imagination.
Thank you.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Emiglee wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 05:19 I don't like children stories but this wonderful review has managed to convince me that this book is worth a try. Awesome review.
Thank you so much!
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

Children’s imagination are always fascinating. Thanks for a great review!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Mrs D O wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 05:25 What's not to like? You observed so many things about the book that are important to me, I really enjoyed reading your great review. It's good to know the author has written responsibly by including messages about safety, respecting animals, protecting the environment and so on.
While playing with Big Blue, Darren imagines himself as Captain Recovery, a skilled tow operator always ready to conduct necessary recovery work. Teamed with Chief Hoffy and his crew from the fire department, Captain Recovery helps them to avoid potentially dangerous situations.
That made me laugh. It was lovely to have some insight into the child's imagination.
Thank you.
Absolutely! The author incorporates all these topics into the narrative quite skillfully :) Thank you very much!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a wonderful children's book that will teach them many facets of the life of a tow-truck driver. I like that it also shows love for animals. Thank you for an interesting and informative review!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I agree with you on the sentence structure. Sentences that long are hard for children to read on their own and difficult for adults to read out loud.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Prisallen wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 08:51 This sounds like a wonderful children's book that will teach them many facets of the life of a tow-truck driver. I like that it also shows love for animals. Thank you for an interesting and informative review!
Thank you so much for your comments! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

diana lowery wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 11:20 I agree with you on the sentence structure. Sentences that long are hard for children to read on their own and difficult for adults to read out loud.
Yes, hopefully the issue will be fixed :) Thank you very much for your comments!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I enjoyed your review, though I am not a fan of children's book. Welldone!!!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Children’s books don’t really interest me for me. However anything that will get children reading either on their own or with an adult is worthwhile. The fact that this teaches so many things also is great!
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

Tow trucks are facinating, even for the adults (unless your own vehicle is being towed 😉 ). I think children will definitely find this one interesting. Nice review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Wonderful book and great review! Bit size sentences are easy to read so quite an useful suggestion.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Amy Luman wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 17:03 Children’s books don’t really interest me for me. However anything that will get children reading either on their own or with an adult is worthwhile. The fact that this teaches so many things also is great!
Thank you very much for your comments!

Return to “Children's Books”