Review of Flirting with Fifty

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Review of Flirting with Fifty

Post by The Holy Grail »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flirting with Fifty" by Jane Porter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paige Newsman became extremely uncomfortable when she learned that she would be team teaching with an incoming professor, Dr. Jack King. She was not receptive to being burdened with another class, and she also had had an awkward and embarrassing past with Jack. They once had a one-night stand in Paris that came out as an experience too embarrassing for Paige to take in that she left immediately after.

She fervently hoped it wasn't the Jack she knew who was coming, but it was — coincidentally. And what's more? After they met, the realization that there was strong chemistry between them hit her squarely on her face, something that sharply conflicted her firm, cynical views about relationships. No matter how much she tried ignoring him, her emotions were a force too strong for her to handle. Jack also knew he felt something for her. And he felt he owed her an orgasm — knowing she had faked it back in Paris or had probably freaked out. How will things go between them? Will Paige finally open her heart to Jack? Read more in Flirting with Fifty by Jane Porter.

This book brings out several aspects I loved. First, Paige's and Jack's story is a testament that love can be found anywhere and anytime regardless of our beliefs or stances whatsoever. Paige became so closed in and dead to relationships after her marriage with Ted failed. She had decided she didn't want anything to do with relationships anymore — until Jack came and she couldn't resist him however hard she tried. Jack, too, had a rather busy and packed-up life that he felt he didn't need anybody, but that changed as well. Apparently, it is evident through Paige that you can never resist yourself or your emotions.

While the book was predictable for most of its bulk, there was a little twist towards the end that literally swept me off my feet. This created an amazing dynamic turn, and everything magically became dramatic in a likable way. The book's plot was outrightly simplistic and straightforward (of course peppered with flashbacks here and there). This made the book very easy and fun to read. The book's flow was commendable, too, and it wasn't a challenge putting its plot together or seeing its plot's direction — unlike if a complicated plot was used.

However, the way Paige reacted to Jack seemed almost unrealistic to me. Her emotions for him were far too amplified to the extent they bordered on exaggeration. Also, how fast Paige forgave Jack when Camille came into the picture conflicted with everything she was portrayed as before. Considering her prior resentful attitude towards relationships, Jack's dishonesty should have shut her down for a considerable time, which wasn't the case. It was more of a "quarrel today, talk tomorrow" scenario, and this part felt out of sync with everything that Paige was. Also, there was a bit of confusion about the characters. In the first chapter, there's a place the author should have said Oliver was conceived during Jack's honeymoon with Mara, but he instead swapped him with Jack. I also wish the author had used asterisks or any other well-pronounced markers between sections and in scene breaks instead of a blank line. This would have helped with aesthetics and ease of identification.

Overall, I have no off-putting complaints about the book — save for the criticism already discussed earlier. However, I don't think that has so much of a bearing on the quality. The book's flow and simplistic feel were appalling, too. In summary, my reading experience was fantastic. I, therefore, rate the book 4 out of 4 because of all the above factors. The book has been professionally edited.

I recommend the book to lovers of intense romance novels that churn one's perception of relationships and love.

Flirting with Fifty
View: on Bookshelves
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I love a cheesy, corny romance novel and this seems like exactly that. The easy flow of the book would make it a lovely to read.
Martha MARTHA 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Martha MARTHA 1 »

While reading a romance novel, I at times guess the future events of the book even before reading them which makes it uninteresting.But when actually reading the book and realizing that it's not how you expected it to be makes it fun and more interesting to read
So i like a twists and turns in a book so it's already on my list 😁
Thapelo Ngwetjana

Post by Thapelo Ngwetjana »

I like clichés, cliché novels, and it sounds like just that. Book flow is easy so it's fun to read
Josephine M 1

Post by Josephine M 1 »

I love reading romantic novel with a lesson that the reader can infer from the story like connection with real life, love it. More novel for the author
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

I’ll recommend this to romance lovers. Underaged will want to stay away from this. Great review!
Nwobegu Lorita
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwobegu-lorita.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Nwobegu Lorita »

Just wow... romantic novels always make the readers feel like being part of the characters..this book is amazing and I think I should get it. Your review was perfectly arranged and written in a lay man's understanding. Thanks for the review
Asma khamis

Post by Asma khamis »

I love this type of story because it shows that love never dies, no matter what age you fifty or whatever , flirting still works when you in love and doesn't stop . As love doesn't either.
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

I don't think I fall for romance books. the storyline is always stereotyped. maybe I should try this. The review is wonderful anyway
Ayesha Ameera Memon
Currently Reading: Culture Jock
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-ameera-memon.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Ayesha Ameera Memon »

I love romance novels! I’m definitely going to check this out! However, I am a bit hesitant because of the way you mentioned Paige reacts to Jack. I don’t like reading books that depict relationships and other aspects of life unrealistically. Nonetheless, excellent review!
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I'm sorry for Paige's failed marriage, and I hope her relationship with Jack was a better one.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Sounds like a fun-filled romance story. I hope to see if paige will open her heart to jack.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

I really love the book because it is about romance. Love is a very good thing. Nice review by you
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I would love to if Paige will give a chance to Jack. Nice review.
Ochi Joseph odeh17

Post by Ochi Joseph odeh17 »

Wow love is indeed beautiful, Paige and jack look the part (LOVE)..

The story portrays high level of erotic romance and I will love to showcase what I've learnt to my love.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”