Review of Last Chance California

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of Last Chance California

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Last Chance California" by Brian Price.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Chance California by Brian Price is a contemporary novel that describes a young man named Wyatt, who tries to follow his dreams while trying to break out of childhood trauma.

Wyatt is a young man who lives in New Jersey, but his dream is to go to California. The abuse he faced as a child affected his life to adulthood. As he tries to break away from this trauma, he tries his best not to become like his father. Working his way to California was not an easy task. He had to leave behind his family and friends and go to another country. It was a strong decision, but Wyatt made it clear that he wanted to go to California. Do you think he would make it in California influenced by drugs, alcohol, and substance abuse? Or is his dream a mere one? The answers to these questions are found in this exciting book.

The novel of an adventure genre as it provides us with the main character's epic journey. The book uses a kind of comedy that jokes about serious topics, also called black humor. The book reflects the absurdly dark aspect of life while using it to get a comic effect. The protagonist is written in a realistic way, how he left his family to chase his dream even though he had no idea of what was ahead of him. The settings and plot are also well used. Even though the book has varying locations, it still makes every adventure worthwhile.

What I love about the book is that the story is very relatable with challenges and emotional changes. Even though the character had an arduous life, I love how the author uses humor to describe his daily life. I also love that Wyatt followed his dream of going to California. On page 80, he cried when he knew he was finally leaving his family, and on page 314, he was told to come back but chose to stay in California and face whatever problem awaited him. From the beginning of the book, it was pretty confusing as the main character's identity was unknown. Still, after reading further, I knew who the main character was, and it became more interesting as I dived in.

The scenes where hard drugs and alcohol were consumed could be disturbing for some readers, especially younger readers. That is not a problem for me. I couldn't find negative aspects in the book. The book is exciting, and I enjoyed it down to the end. I would undeniably award this book 4 out of 4 stars. Also, it deserves the rating because it has a few errors.

I want to recommend this book to fans of adventure novels with a bit of black humor and those who would like to face their dreams, as this would serve as a motivating book for them.

Last Chance California
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ada Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-chris.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ada Chris »

I like the concept of exploring the adventure of a young man in a new environment. I wonder if Wyatt is up to the new adventure but i guess i will have to read the book to find out. thank you for the succinct review. well done.
Marvel+123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marvel+123 »

Finding your path after experiencing a childhood trauma is difficult part. Would read the book to find out what became of him.
Stan+12345

Post by Stan+12345 »

The entire process of healing from a trauma is gradual and uneasy. Thanks for a detailed review
Itlotleng Motswenyane
Favorite Book: Black, White, and Gray All Over
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Itlotleng Motswenyane »

I'm proud to say that Waytt is a brave young man reading from the review and it gave me a clear picture of how determined he was to achieve his dream. The review is magnificent and now it's time for me to go read the book!🤗
Ikechukwu+12345
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-12345.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Ikechukwu+12345 »

With drugs and alcohol, I vehemently disagree of he will pull through, except he comes in contact with change. Thanks for a fantastic review.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

A dream to go to California faced with all sorts of challenges won't be easy. Wyatt sounds like a determined person. Time will only tell about what will happen to him and his dream. Great review!
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It takes a lot of courage for a individual to leave his home, his friends, his family, and everything he has ever known to remake himself so far away. I hope Wyatt can make it.
Madhurima_19

Post by Madhurima_19 »

An adventurous story. He has a lot of courage of leaving his family and taking this big step. Wyatt is a very determined person.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

This seems to be an interesting booking. I would like to read for myself to see how Wyatt overcame the trauma. I would also like to see for myself how he suicided in achieving his dream. thanks for the review.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Leave all the childhood trauma behind, move to California and begin a new life. I really wish Wyatt succeeds to overcome drugs and alcohol.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

We must learn to move on in life, moved to California a start a new life. Thank you for your review.
Daniel Oluwabiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Daniel Oluwabiyi »

Child abuse is such a sad occurrence, unfortunately still plaguing us today. Like Wyatt, people should be given assistance to break free from the trauma it brings. Good review.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, I can tell that this book is going to be a great read. The challenges Wyatt faced coupled with his determination are just awesome. wonderful review.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

This book is recommended to young adults who are easily influenced by the doings of this present time. Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”