Review of Just Die

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review of Just Die

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Just Die" by E Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wished that someone would “just die”? We often use those words lightly. But what if they came true? Jake Silver, a retired financial planner, suffered a stroke. He also had learned from his mother a “polite” way of giving the finger: pointing at someone and murmuring the words “just die.” So, when, after his stroke, he wishes that on someone, and they seem to drop dead, he doesn't give it much thought. Soon enough, he’ll discover he can actually make this happen. Along with his fiance, Beth Ann, and Omar, a retired football star, they’ll explore Jake’s gift. Or is it a curse? Just Die by E. Alan Fleischauer is a paranormal thriller that follows Jake and what he chooses to do with his newly acquired power. One can't easily go unnoticed when people seem to drop dead around you. Will he use it for good or for evil? Is it a crime to kill someone with just words?

In my opinion, this is a flawless novel. First, the premise is original. Second, the pacing is perfect: without a single boring moment but without being overwhelming. But what truly stood out to me was the character development. Action-packed thrillers, such as this one, often overlook other aspects of the narrative, but not Mr. Fleischauer. From D.C., a drug-addicted veterinarian to Fabiana, a gorgeous Russian hotel manager, the character cast is diverse and fascinating. Even more surprising, in a little over 200 pages, the author gave each one an individual voice, making the dialogues one of the most enjoyable aspects of the novel. On top of it all, the book was professionally edited. I only found three minor mistakes in the whole novel. I also applaud that the author didn't overdo the paranormal facet of the thriller. In fact, except for the "gift," everything else is believable, and the author uses real political situations and their players in the plot.

If I were to point out an aspect that could be improved, it would be that, because this is a short, action-filled novel, the backstories of some characters are only explored superficially. For example, Beth Ann had a tragic past that's summarized in a few paragraphs. That is, however, intrinsic to the genre and, probably, intentional. Also, there seems to be an obsessive mention of football teams and beer brands. I get that both are an important part of American culture, but it seems unjustified. These are just minutiae that didn't hinder my reading experience.

I rate Just Die by E. Alan Fleischauer 4 out of 4 stars because of its perfect pacing, flawless edition, original premise, authentic dialogues, and outstanding character development.

This is an ideal novel for anyone who enjoys a fast-paced and original plot, especially readers interested in the secret services, the military, politics, and law enforcement. Those who like courtroom intrigues will also find a little something to enjoy. It will also appeal to readers interested in the powers of the human mind or in exploring human values and experiences such as revenge, patriotism, redemption, and loyalty. This is not a book for people looking for romance, an intricate paranormal plot, supernatural characters, or for people who look for deep personal narratives. I should warn there are brief subplots regarding addictions and child abuse. The scenes are not too explicit, but readers who are sensitive to these topics should take this into consideration.

Just Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Karen Hotchkiss
Currently Reading: Difficult Conversations
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen-hotchkiss.html
Latest Review: Taking Charge: Vol. 2 More Stories on Aging Boldly by Herb Weiss

Post by Karen Hotchkiss »

Thanks, I'm adding this one to my reading list! If it happened to me, I would view it as a curse rather than a gift. My conscience could not take killing someone unless there was truly no other way to survive. It does remind me of a Stephen King short story I read once, where a man was writing on a word processor and deleted someone, and they ceased to exist. It was a long time ago, I can't recall any more about it.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Talk about mind power. Words are often mightier than the sword, but this story sounds like it becomes a literal translation of it. Intriguing plot, great review!
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Karen Hotchkiss wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 23:07 Thanks, I'm adding this one to my reading list! If it happened to me, I would view it as a curse rather than a gift. My conscience could not take killing someone unless there was truly no other way to survive. It does remind me of a Stephen King short story I read once, where a man was writing on a word processor and deleted someone, and they ceased to exist. It was a long time ago, I can't recall any more about it.
I wished you remembered the title to that story, it seems fascinating! I would see it as a curse, too. It's too much of a temptation for others to use you as a personal weapon, and my conscience wouldn't take it either. But the author developed it in a surprisingly original way...
Thank you for your comment!

Mounce574 wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 02:00 Talk about mind power. Words are often mightier than the sword, but this story sounds like it becomes a literal translation of it. Intriguing plot, great review!
Exactly. I wonder if it's somehow possible... the author doesn't dive deep into the supposed science of it, and I'm not at all science savvy, but I do believe our minds are powerful. Thank you for your kind words!
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I am curious, how Jake will use his new powers. For sure this book sounds intriguing. Thanks for the review.
Karen Hotchkiss
Currently Reading: Difficult Conversations
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen-hotchkiss.html
Latest Review: Taking Charge: Vol. 2 More Stories on Aging Boldly by Herb Weiss

Post by Karen Hotchkiss »

Lunastella wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 10:01
I wished you remembered the title to that story, it seems fascinating!
I just looked it up, the story was 'Word Processor of the Gods' and it was in Skeleton Crew in 1985. I just read the summary again and it was a great story. It's such a frustration for me that I have a hard time recalling details about books I've read and enjoyed so much. :oops:

Karen Hotchkiss wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 22:44
Lunastella wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 10:01
I wished you remembered the title to that story, it seems fascinating!
I just looked it up, the story was 'Word Processor of the Gods' and it was in Skeleton Crew in 1985. I just read the summary again and it was a great story. It's such a frustration for me that I have a hard time recalling details about books I've read and enjoyed so much. :oops:
Thank you! It was very kind of you to look it up :tiphat:
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t know what I’d do with this “gift”.I’m sure it would cause me to be much more careful. However, the only way to know that you have it is to accidentally use it.
Ada Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-chris.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ada Chris »

If I had the gift, I wouldn’t want to be killing people, I would rather see it as a curse on me, but apart from that the story seems nice and the review was nice!Good job on the review. I’m definitely adding this to my book list
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

From D.C., a drug-addicted veterinarian to Fabiana, a gorgeous Russian hotel manager, the character cast is diverse and fascinating. Even more surprising, in a little over 200 pages, the author gave each one an individual voice, making the dialogues one of the most enjoyable aspects of the novel.
That's an impressive achievement and the story looks fascinating. Your review was a pleasure to read. I liked the structure, the detail and the well-considered recommendations. Thank you.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

That's quite the thriller for a storyline. I hope to read this book soon.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Thank you for the well-written review! I appreciate the level of detail that you included. The plot is very unique and sounds quite intriguing. I can't wait to hear how Jake Silver handles his newly acquired power. Well done!

Amy Luman wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 14:53 I don’t know what I’d do with this “gift”.I’m sure it would cause me to be much more careful. However, the only way to know that you have it is to accidentally use it.
I know! Can you imagine how distressing that first time must be? Personally, I think it's more of a curse, but I loved the way the author explored it.
Thanks for stopping by!

Ada Chris wrote: 09 Jul 2022, 02:32 If I had the gift, I wouldn’t want to be killing people, I would rather see it as a curse on me, but apart from that the story seems nice and the review was nice!Good job on the review. I’m definitely adding this to my book list
I agree. But I never would've imagined all the things it implied until I read the novel.
Thank you for your kind words!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”