What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 756
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 46: The Mojo Collection by Jim Irvin. It took me a fortnight of days to finish the entire compilation of the best music albums of history, but it was totally worth it.
The compilation is arranged chronologically from 1950 to early 2007, with information on who was involved in each album and a little history about how it was made and how it was received. At the end, as a bonus, there are compilations of movie music discs, and the best compilation discs by genre or group.
I am the proud owner of three long plays from this collection and one of the mentioned CDs, by the way. (Which no one is interested in, but which have made me very happy.)
Perhaps the only fault, in my opinion, was not including music from other countries in the compilation until the end of the 1990s. At least they included African, Cuban, Italian, etc. music from this date on, but there was good music before that in the rest of the world too. 4/5
Mask mask
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mask-mask.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mask mask »

I've just finished Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas 4/4. I read the book in less than two days!

The author did a great job!
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

SMART Love: The MANual by Vincent Fudge II. I rated it four out of four stars. Oh how I wish there was a higher score!
kajal31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajal31.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by kajal31 »

The last book I have read is Fear Not, Dream Big and Execute. It was such a remarkable book, as the title suggests. It tells us how to adopt good habits and how to stop certain bad habits. Firstly, it will tell you how to recognise your dream, and then the second part is about how to work on that dream. It was such an interesting read and I rate this book a 4 out of 4.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

The Last book I read was The Mountain Girl by Emma Payne Erskine and I read it 4 out of 4. The book was really enjoyable and very engaging.
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 47: The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem. The book is well written and has a clear and unvarnished narration. Readable for any age. Which is a shame, if you ask me.
I don't think the title is appropriate, moreover, being that the protagonist's loneliness was in no way a strength or fortress, anyone entered in more or less abrupt and whimsical ways without Dylan, the protagonist, being able to do much to prevent it. Truth be told, it wasn't even a solitude that he would have truly wanted, being that he had been driven to it by the environment in which he had been raised and the traumas that had carried him into adulthood.
Nor is the story of his youth a great epic about marginalization and the fight against it. Rather, it's an absurd flashback to being different during his time at school, which promptly disappears when he goes to college and later goes to work as an adult. Which does not happen with his comrades who are marginalized throughout their lives and end up stuck in their corner, outside the law or dead. My advice would be, don't complain so much, privileged child, do something useful and stop hanging on daddy's pocket.
For the reasons stated, this book did not sit well with me at all. I would not even recommend it to pass the time, although the narration is simple and the pages turn fast, I consider that there are much better books to waste time. 2/5
Hani Ahmed 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hani-ahmed-4.html
Latest Review: The Elephant Tooth of '95 by Rana Baydoun

Post by Hani Ahmed 4 »

I just read Elephant Tooth of ‘95 by Rana Baydoun. Follows a young woman my age just living her life. It was light-hearted with some heavier tones but overall a good book. I rated it 3 out of 4.
Carly Sprout
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

After reading Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar, I was quite disappointed by the blatant racism that never seems to be discussed by readers despite this book being one of the most highly recommended literary works.
3/5
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 48: Loveless by Alice Oseman. Unfortunately, this book failed to connect with me, so I can only review it from a literary point of view and it does not fare so well.
I had high hopes for this book, as the reviews I read about it spoke of how well the asexual lead character was portrayed and how many questions it could clear up for people who identified with or questioned their own representation. And, although it surely managed to connect with many asexual people in some parts, I must say that it did not manage to do so with me in any aspect and I am very afraid that, on the contrary, he caused me a great aversion towards the protagonist.
Perhaps the careless way in which the story was narrated, which is very flat, full of cliche dialogues and unimportant descriptions, also influenced the slow and somewhat incoherent development of the protagonist. If indeed there was development.
The other characters do not seem to reach any development either and some are harshly criticized by the protagonist due to their sexual choices as well. As is the case with her roommate, who gets the worst of the story just for being the protagonist's sexual counterpart, it seems to me.
The plot itself is also very simple and, despite all the dramas that the protagonist makes in her head, it seems that there is no big change for herself once she defines herself as asexual. Although using your best friend to make your own identity development was very wrong, worse if we take into account that said friend had already left a toxic relationship before and Georgia was aware of the fact. (One of the many reasons why I disliked this child.)
Now the definition of aromanticism explained in the story is very incomplete and should not be taken literally as the rule. So read this book knowing very well that asexuality and the aromanticism that it explains is just one of the many facets that can take shape in a person and you will not have any problems when you meet someone who is different from this conception. You are warned. 2/5
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

Classic Tales from India: How Ganesh Got His Elephant Head and Other Stories

Any fan of mythology should consider getting this book. It has several great stories, and the artwork is fantastically detailed. Hinduism is truly a fascinating religion. 9/10
cruciformpress
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cruciformpress »

Last I finished Getting Back in the Race: The Cure for Backsliding by Joel Beeke. I give it 4/5 stars.
The book is all about "God can help you. You can finish this race—and finish it well".
Kenny1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenny1997.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kenny1997 »

I read Rise of the savior by Antoine Bonner.
It was captivating
I rated it 3 out of 4 star.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I finished An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by P.D. James, book one in the series revolving around Cordelia Gray, a young female Private Investigator. I enjoyed it, but due to the slow pace rated it 3/4 stars.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Maha Ata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maha-ata.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Maha Ata »

I have just finished reading "The watchmaker's doctor ". I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The book is a short enjoyable novel describing the story of Ana travelling back in time.
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 49: The group by Mary McCarthy. A fairly faithful, and therefore creepy, portrait of the female situation in the 1930s in the US. The nine characters have a clear oppressive characteristic that describes the particular situation of women in that decade. From the simple fact of getting a contraceptive method and having a place to store it, to the misfortune of a toxic and abusive marriage, the roles of each one rebel before the reader's gaze as a protest of the oppressive system against which they fight daily, and how it ends up shaping their destinies without them having much to do against it.
The mental hospital scene is one of the most disturbing, in my opinion, since we see the character robbed of all her freedoms and putting her in the hands of the worst individual. The characters are very well constructed, since you end up hating some and pitying others, a clear sign that the author has managed to get you involved with her narration.
I recommend it to all women as essential reading. 5/5

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”