Review of Replicant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review of Replicant

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Replicant" by L. Berger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever thought of the existence of multiple universes? What would you do if you woke up to find that there are indeed alternate versions of the universe? How would you react if you discovered that there are different versions of yourself living altered lives? The prospect of a multiverse is definitely intriguing. Hence, I was elated to happen upon L. Berger's Replicant. Berger's novel makes the notion of the existence of a multiverse very plausible.

One fine Saturday, physics graduate student, Nick Kovacs, wakes up to find himself in a bizarre situation. Like always, he goes to stock up on groceries. However, he is astonished to find elements of the policies of the erstwhile USSR Union in his very own locality in modern-day Arizona, USA. He thinks that his anxiety is finally making him lose his mind. He quickly returns home and falls asleep. Waking up, he finds that everything is back to normal. However, he is unable to let the event go. Even though he consults his psychiatrist, he also starts looking up people with similar experiences. To his utmost astonishment, he finds an article written about a Cal Poly graduate student, Talia Anderson. He reaches out to Talia. Talia's experiences are eerily similar to his. This assures him that he is not losing his mind. Together they decide to uncover the mystery of the alternate universe into which they both were inadvertently thrust into.

Will Talia and Nick be able to discover the reason why they were the ones who were transported to an alternate universe? What is the relationship between the two worlds? How did that universe fall into the grasp of the Soviet Union? Most importantly, do alternate universes truly exist, or is everything just Nick's hallucination?

My first thought after reading the book was that L. Berger is an amazing author. She beautifully incorporated aspects of physics and history. Berger made me think that there really might exist alternate worlds. The physics behind this concept was masterfully portrayed. Even people who do not have much knowledge about core scientific concepts like partner particles would easily believe in the possibility of an alternate universe after reading the book. This is because of the simple and clear writing style. Berger also talks about a different fate of the USA. She makes us wonder what would happen if the Soviet Union won the Cold War and got its hands on the USA. In the book's replicant universe, a devastating war had changed the course of history. Though the war took place in the 1980s, its effects were still there. Berger also shows the dangers of advanced technologies when in the hands of a tyrannical government.

One of my favorite characters in the book was Eric. The only surviving member of his family, Eric always harbored the hope of crossing over to the alternate universe to see his parents and sisters live a happy and long life. His bonds with his own son, Niko, and Niko's replicant, Nick were adorable. Also, I liked how Nick and Talia interacted with their replicants. Berger's portrayal of Nick and Talia's relationship was relatable. The natural manner in which their feelings grew for each other made me root for them all the more.

I really enjoyed Nick and Talia's story. There is not much that I would change about the book. It is well-edited. I only found a handful of errors. These errors were minor and did not detract from my reading experience.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this amazing book 4 out of 4 stars. I was completely hooked till the very end. I would love to read the second book of this intriguing series.

Replicant is a book that has a wide array of themes like romance, science, history, and thriller. It even delves into the devastation wrecked by war. So, this book is bound to appeal to people with myriad tastes. I especially recommend this book to readers who love science fiction novels with a dash of history and romance.

Replicant
View: on Bookshelves
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I would love to read this book. Thanks for the review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The romance won’t be my favorite part, but I feel like I have to read this book. I have also been interested in multiverse theory for a long time. I’ve always hoped it was real.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

Being a comic book fan the subject of the multiverse is always intriguing. This seems like it would be an exciting book with plenty of action and drama. Thanks for the review.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

I find that stories revolving around multiverse theory are often quite interesting so I think I would enjoy reading this book. It's also good that there are many theses, romance, history, sci-fi, as that keeps a book interesting!
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Waking up to find yourself in another universe—bizzare, and it's an amazing story for the book. It sounds intriguing.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Seybi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Seybi »

I've always been willing to read books that are informative. This book not only gives that but makes a plausible explanation of the existence of a multiverse. Thanks for the review!
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

Yes! I have questioned myself about the existence of multiple universes a lot of times and I can see from your review that the book Replicant by L. Berger will have the answers I seek. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review.
Daniel Oluwabiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Daniel Oluwabiyi »

The topic of the multiverse is a delicate subject to thread. Any author brave enough to write a book on this topic deserves accolades.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

I ask the same question, "Is there really an alternate universe?". I'm curious as to how the mystery was unravelled. Great review.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

I hope that there is an alternate universe.wonderful review.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”