Review of My Dad's Ashes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of My Dad's Ashes

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Dad's Ashes" by Laura Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Dad's Ashes by Laura Hughes is a memoir the author wrote after her dad's death. Laura delves into her life in a wealthy, privileged family before and after her dad adopts her. Laura was only six months old when her biological father, Dick, abandoned her family after getting their 16-year-old babysitter pregnant. Left alone with three small children and enormous marital debt, she was desperate for help, and Walter fell madly in love with her. They were married when Laura was two years old, her brother, Richard, was four, and her sister, Ann, was nine. Four years later, her brother, Bryce, was born. Laura loved her new little brother, would do anything for him, and vowed always to be there for him. It sounds like everything was perfect in Laura's life, right? Unfortunately, Laura's life was not perfect, and as she grew up, she learned many secrets and learned to keep secrets of her own. To learn more, read this emotional book of lies, secrets, betrayals, abuse, and deceit. As the author states at the beginning of the book, this is "her story, her life, but not her shame."

This emotional book has many positive aspects. Laura Hughes has done a fantastic job in describing her family members and friends. I could feel her hurt, rejection, and lack of self-worth being raised in a dysfunctional family where she never experienced a mother's love, kiss, and hug. The author shows a deep understanding of the theory of nature versus nurture in her writing of this book. Individuals are born with specific characteristics, but life experiences and influences may teach you to have many other features. I enjoyed the tidbits Laura shared. One example is that Salmon P. Chase is on the $10,000 bill.

The main aspect of this book that I disliked was that I had to put it down to stop crying for Laura Hughes and her family. Another negative aspect is that the PDF version I read is in draft format with editorial blocks on the side of the pages. I recommend that readers obtain a final copy of the book that does not include the editorial blocks.

Unfortunately, I have no option but to give this fascinating book 3 out of 4 stars because it has not been professionally edited. A professional editor would have found over ten mistakes in this book. I have no reason to give this book a lower rating because I enjoyed reading it, and it has a smooth-flowing plot that kept me intrigued.

I recommend this book to mature readers of memoirs. I do not recommend it to younger or sensitive readers because of the content of non-borderline profanity, child abuse, rape, murder, inappropriate student and teacher relationships, and alcohol and drug abuse. Laura's family was not religious, and the little bit of religious content will probably not be offensive to anyone. However, you may want to avoid this book if you have no religious tolerance.

My Dad's Ashes
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Ada Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-chris.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ada Chris »

Laura's life is filled with what seems like a lot of disappointment. it is so sad that her biological father abandoned her and her family. finding out all the secrets that Laura has to stomach will surely be an interesting past time. But the issue about the editing is a bummer. hopefully the author gets to fix it.
Marvel+123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Marvel+123 »

Sometimes, I wonder why adults who promised forever would come to a point where they would think of quitting. Feel so bad for laura. Nice review.
Ikechukwu+12345
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-12345.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Ikechukwu+12345 »

Laura story is sad one, going through all of that as little child is so pathetic. Thanks for a detailed review.
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

The book is profound and personal. Great review.
kajal31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajal31.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by kajal31 »

I love to read memoirs. This one also sounds interesting. Laura's story seems to be sad because of how he had to bear all the things as a child and her biological father also abondoned her. The story seems to be interesting, but the editing part needs to be done by the author. Thank you for your great review.
Cheryl Cubresis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Cheryl Cubresis »

Through all the trials she been through it might be that's the reason how stronger she is.
Daniel Oluwabiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Daniel Oluwabiyi »

I am not really a fan of memoirs. However this sounds as uplifting as it is sad. Great review.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Everyone has their own story to tell. This book is about Laura's story, and I think hers is a sad one. I feel sorry for her.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

As the author states at the beginning of the book, this is "her story, her life, but not her shame."
Too right! The shame is well and truly with the perpetrators (no matter how much they try to blame victims). I acknowledge the author's courage for disclosing her experiences.
I admire your responsibly written review about a book containing so many sensitive issues Bertha Jackson. You have also shared how emotional it is to read and made considerate recommendations about readership. Thank you.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I love emotional memoirs. Too bad it has so much profanity and violence. The title of the book also is kind of negative.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

I love how religious contents were added to the book, I really loved that as a Christian. Thank you for your review
Lynderella
Currently Reading: Seven Words You Never Want to Hear
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Lynderella »

This book sounds quite interesting. I would love to read it. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it on Amazon nor on the other links provided.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

Memoirs are good to read. Laura had a bad experience as she was growing. I don't know why this happens without someone showing up to rescue the innocent souls. Hope in future these may cease. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Cheryl Cubresis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Cheryl Cubresis »

Im is so sad that her biological father abandoned her and her family. How she had to bear all the things as a child and her biological father also abandoned her. It might be that's the reason how stronger she is.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”