Review of These Sacred Lands

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review of These Sacred Lands

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "These Sacred Lands" by James Harold Kelly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

These Sacred Lands by James Harold Kelly is a novel set in the American West. Although it is the second volume in the I am a Soldier, First and Always series, this novel easily stands alone. Perfect for fans of historical fiction, this book takes a reader back in time. Complete with maps and illustrations, this book shows readers how history came about and outlines the battles and events of the Great Sioux War fought in the late 1800s.

Joshua Tremaine Mackenzie arrived in Fort Laramie by stagecoach with his parents, his brother, and his sister. He could barely contain his excitement at beginning the adventure of this new western life. When Joshua befriends a young Lakota boy his age, he decides to learn the Lakota language. Will friendship between the two young men be possible in the tumultuous times of Indian wars and battles for territory in a burgeoning new nation? To find out, you must read this book!

The historical accuracy in this novel is exceptional. The maps of the Northern Plains featured throughout the book help readers picture names and places. It was fascinating to see the maps of areas where battles had been held that included well-known historical characters. Keeping history alive is one of the best aspects of why readers love historical novels. This book tells history fans precisely what one would expect in a historical novel set in this time. The story is woven together with historical facts.

It is evident that this author comes from a military background and enjoys military history. This author can capture the angst, feelings of anger, and helplessness of the Lakota people as well as the white settlers. He also captures the spirit of unity felt by the tribes in this story. These feelings transfer to the reader and help them connect with the characters and situations.

The character development in the story is excellent, and I enjoyed how the characters of Shadow Hawk and Joshua developed as they grew to adulthood. Shadow Hawk became a respected Lakota Warrior, and Joshua became a cavalry officer. In such a time of change for the country, it was interesting to see each character's strengths. I was often reminded of family members who had lived through that period of history, and I knew the reality of the emotions they expressed in the story.

I love how the Lakota Sioux still hold the Black Hills sacred and how, for that reason, this book is dedicated to them. What I loved best about this book was how the author gives the reader a sense of time and place, not only in history but in the spiritual sense of the people involved in this work.

I live in a state where native culture is considered a valued asset. Efforts to save almost-lost languages are underway, and reviving the old ways is a constant process when instructing the youth about local history. Novels like this keep the past events of our nation a part of remembered history. I appreciated how Joshua undertook to learn the Lakota language to help further his friendship with Shadow Hawk and establish his ability to communicate with all sides. That aspect of this novel sets an excellent example for people of the time in which we live today.

I found nothing negative to list for this novel. It is exceptionally well edited, and the plot is driven by the truth evident in recorded history. For these reasons, it has achieved a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This book contains the elements of adventure, action, and romance. It also contains the violence and gruesome scenes one would expect of a novel that includes historical battles fought during this period. It is best suited to a mature audience. It will appeal most to fans of historical fiction. I recommend it to readers who have a particular affinity with stories of a western theme.

These Sacred Lands
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I like reading about history and the Indian culture is always fascinating to me. This seems like a book I would enjoy learning from. Though is does sadden me to think of all the Indians lost in history.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Oh I love historical fiction. Thanks for the review!
Carla ColaiezI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Carla ColaiezI »

Thank you for this brief, but, alluring review. I've often wondered about other cultural aspects within my family's Indian bloodlines, so, this review enlightened me to an essence,which I'd love to venture more into.
Ayesha Ameera Memon
Currently Reading: Culture Jock
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-ameera-memon.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Ayesha Ameera Memon »

I've actually read the first novel in this series and I was a bit apprehensive about reading this one. But your review shows that this book is quite different from its predecessor, so I may just check it out! I love that you mentioned the fact that it has drawings and illustrations which has drawn me in, that's something I look for with historical fiction books heavy on the eyes! Great job!
Aluko 123456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Aluko 123456 »

When I noticed the Lakota boy character and Joshua journey story with him, I knew its a book that will intrigue me
Seybi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Seybi »

Not all history makes one inquisitive but it's great to know that the history told in this book is associated with feelings that give the reader a live experience of the historical war and facts. Thanks for the review!
Nathalie Elsa Nelson
Currently Reading: Of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsa-lee.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Nathalie Elsa Nelson »

I'm a huge fan of historical fiction. And I'm obsessed with India culture. I think I will read the book later. F
Great review.
Chidera agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chidera-agbata.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Chidera agbata »

Am not a fan of historical fiction. Nevertheless, you review is cool.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

Thanks for the review, I'll love to read the book to learn more about the relationship between Joshua and Lakota
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

While I am not a huge fan of historical fiction, I do believe telling its story like this is an excellent way to keep the past alive. It brings a vision for the reader, so they're able to see into the eyes of people from that time. The review is written great and it flows well.
Gnex_09
Favorite Book: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnex-09.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Gnex_09 »

Before now, I could only learn of indian culture through watching movies on Zeeworld. I am so glad that I came across this beautiful review.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

I usually do not read historical fiction as often as I read other genres because of the emotional wreckage that may accompany it. Historical fictions that features wars are on this table, especially when they are told from the point of view of the oppressed.

This review is well detailed for me to know what to expect and I'm glad that I can make my decision to read it while being well informed on what to expect. Thank you for the details.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

I love historical fiction? But never read one on the Indian culture. I would love to read this book.
D Accurate_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d-accurate-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by D Accurate_Reviewer »

Your review is amazing. Although I'm not a total fan of Historical Fiction but based on this review i can give this book a try.

Return to “Historical Fiction”