Review of They Call Me Nooner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of They Call Me Nooner

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "They Call Me Nooner" by Laine Scheliga.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dade Nooner rides into Hunkerville, Texas, and kills the liveryman, Mr. Looger, after he pulls a gun on him. Going into Bill's De-luxe Saloon, he is run over by the owner, Bill Teetle, who claims to have June bugs and scorpions crawling on him. In the saloon, Pine Top McGee pulls a gun on him, but he is so slow Dade feels sorry for him and does not shoot him. Instead, he goads him into a game of High Card, where the winner has to shoot the loser. After Pine Top shoots his friend, Nub Wesson, in the foot, Cheese Dinkle refuses to draw a card and challenges Dade to draw one. Dade puts his card in his pocket and tells them he will not shoot anyone if they pay him $100.00. They tell him they have no money, but they know about hundreds of dollars in gold belonging to the Indians. This information results in Dade, Pine Top, and Cheese meeting with the hunchbacked Apache, Tiptoe Sam, to find out more about the Comanche Indian treasure. What does Tiptoe Sam tell them? Do they find the Comanche treasure? What card did Dade draw?

They Call Me Nooner by Laine Scheliga is a humorous western full of adventure, danger, death, magic, and romance. Laine Scheliga claims at the beginning of the book that this is a true story, and he tells it from Dade Nooner's point of view. The dialogue in this book is that of rough, rugged cowboys who have never heard of grammar rules which makes the book hilarious to read. Characters' names like Pine Top and Cheese, a horse named "Shithead," and whiskey called Tangle Leg, Scorpion Tongue Oil, Coffin Varnish, and Popskull show the humor in this book. The author has done a fantastic job with character and demographic development. I felt like I was in the saloon and Indian camps. There are many rules that cowboys had to live by. For example, "fate will deal her cards as she will, and you got to play them cards as they lay." Readers will learn that friendship, kindness, and virtue make life more bearable.

I did not find any negative aspects to this book. It is a well-written and fast-paced book with a smooth-flowing plot that kept me laughing and interested throughout it. With only 148 pages, it is a short book to read.

There is no reason for me to give this book lower than 4 out of 4 stars. This well-edited book has only one small spacing error. I can safely state that this book has been professionally edited.

I recommend this book to mature readers who enjoy western and romance books that involve a treasure hunt. Sensitive readers may not enjoy reading this book because of the non-borderline profanity and sexual content. None of the sexual content is graphic, but there is an abundance of innuendos.

They Call Me Nooner
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Hue-Morningstar
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hue-morningstar.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hue-Morningstar »

Wow! What a review! I was like what is going on. Letting action occur at the beginning was quite an idea. Loved this review.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

I love this review! This first paragraph was making me feel like what type of action book is this, without knowing there's more to it.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

I love action books so I would be adding the book to my book to read. Thank you for writing about the book.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

The cover of the book is what attracted me to the review and I am loving how well reviewed the book is. I look forward to reading the book. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, I can tell that this book is going to be very interesting. I would definitely get this book in my shelf. Thanks for this wonderful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”