Review of DR adventures of JJ and Sophie

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of DR adventures of JJ and Sophie

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "DR adventures of JJ and Sophie" by Thomas Armstrong McMurray.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

DR Adventures of JJ and Sophie is the second book in Thomas Armstrong McMurray's An Immigrant Series, and it continues the story of JJ. This is a review based on no prior knowledge of book one.

JJ returned home to Ireland from Canada after a long while due to familial reasons. What challenges would he face in his transition? Would he be up to the task of helping in his father's business?

The book title could be misleading. Before I opened the book, I expected "adventures," according to the book's title. I was surprised to see that most of the scenes were bland. It was just mundane daily activities with little to no excitement. I was looking for life-threatening situations and heroic rescues, but sadly this was not that kind of book.

The book's central plot was focused on sales and business, which wouldn't make for an exciting read except for a specific niche of readers. It left no room for the imagination because it was predictable. Also, I felt Sophie was sidelined in this book, even when she was supposed to make a dynamic duo with JJ. Well, the ending showed that Sophie's involvement could be more in subsequent books.

A positive appeal for me was the humanity portrayed. JJ's character was emulation-worthy because of his business savvy and compassion for those who worked for and with him. His love for rugby was shown; he was ready to fill in for his local team at a moment's notice. He was a significant linchpin in some of their league success.

The concept of family bonding was shown, as the book was family-driven. Family was one of the reasons he came back home. In the book, JJ's family dynamics were vivid. His love life also showed men's ignorance about women's affairs, but still, they would be willing to make the necessary sacrifice for it to work. The normalcy of it made it much more relatable.

The author's writing style was more narrational than conversational, explaining things outrightly and not prolonging details with simple, unambiguous words. It made for easy understanding. I found a few minor errors. Although DR Adventures of JJ and Sophie didn't meet my expectations in some areas, I loved its simplicity. I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to lovers of business-themed books. There were no profanities and graphic scenes, so teenagers interested in business-related books could also be inclined to read DR Adventures of JJ and Sophie.

DR adventures of JJ and Sophie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Great review! A family-driven story with adventure of mundane life. This one's not for me.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Honestly, I don't believe this is my type of book, however I really enjoyed your review. Thank you!
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

Sincerely speaking from my perspective, I don’t understand the review so I’m not sure I’ll enjoy the book. Great review though!
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html

Post by Ruthwriter »

A family story is a great one, after all, family is the bedrock of society. thanks for the review.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html

Post by WriteOn »

I think you've explained the real story of this book really clearly Zee_Zee. I also felt misled by the title.
Before I opened the book, I expected "adventures," according to the book's title. I was surprised to see that most of the scenes were bland. It was just mundane daily activities with little to no excitement.
I agree, the audience for this book might be limited to those with an interest in business. It seems to have been well-written though.
Thank you
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

I would not be reading the book, but your review was well written. Awesome job by the author of the book and the reviewer
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

I don't think this book would interest me to read. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”