Review of 2084

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Review of 2084

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "2084" by Kadon Landon Peterson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this second installment of the 2084 series, Dune and Fennic now live in the tunnels far below the devastation of the city as they await their daughter’s birth. After what seems an eternity, the great event occurs! Within minutes of his daughter’s birth, Dune surgically places implants in her brain that enable her to link with the BCI (Brain to Computer Interface). The BCI contains the whole of human thought and knowledge for her to absorb. They name her February, Febz for short. Febz’s development as a character is detailed and intriguing. She has been genetically engineered by her father for brilliance and fed knowledge daily by the BCI. By her fifth year of life, she is nearly Dune’s equal in every area from mathematics to philosophy (which Dune loves to debate with her). By the age of ten, she is almost completely independent. She is not only able to easily complete life skills but is also fully capable of building complex machines and computers, among other advanced skills. Doted on by both parents, she lacks only one thing — life experience.

Life goes well for this unusual family until Fennec suddenly becomes deathly ill. In an attempt to save her, Dune leaves the tunnels to find Max, the geneticist who had created her. This has dire consequences. Though it costs them dearly in loss of life, the WPA (World Peace Authority) manages to capture Dune, their worst enemy. Will Fennic survive without the medical care Dune was bringing, or is young February destined to grow up without human companionship? Is Dune fated to endure ‘the procedure’ and become a neutered shell of himself, or will his brilliant mind conceive a way to escape? All hangs in the balance.

Character growth did not end with Febz. Dune also experiences immense growth, although the manner in which it develops is far from orthodox. Fennic displays an entirely different type of growth as she struggles with her illness and the concept of her possibly imminent death. This is perhaps the most poignant part of the story. Unfortunately, I cannot reveal more without spoilers.

Before I continue expounding on 2084: Book Two: 207X, by Jadon Landon Peterson, I am compelled to include several trigger warnings. I will tell you openly that if you are even moderately easy to offend, steer clear. However, I will also tell you that even the most ‘distasteful’ concepts and events in the book are there for a specific reason. Everything serves a purpose by moving the story along, intensifying your understanding of Dune’s sense of morality (or lack thereof), or by displaying the ethical values and moral philosophies by which humanity lives in that reality. There are explicit scenes of rape, hints of pedophilia, nudity, fully described sex scenes, one chapter of graphically described cannibalism, and moderately misogynistic themes.

The author writes to evoke reactions, contemplation, and self-reflection from his readers. Complex philosophical ‘arguments’ that Dune has with himself abound. Unfortunately, that was where I had difficulty with the book. To be clear, I enjoy philosophy and discussing different views within it. However, unlike in 2084: Book One: 2069, where the author deftly wove these elements into the story, in this second book, the discussions went on and on. While they were always relevant to the plot and Dune’s state of mind, it felt more like they were interrupting the story than being woven into it. However, I must admit, these lines of argument, the storyline, and the events within it were thought-provoking. Two of the most soul-searching questions that came about in my case were: “Is this wrong, or is it something I would simply do differently?” Part of his psychosis is that Dune believes himself to be the essence of evil. Indeed, our psychotic anti-hero does many blatantly iniquitous things. Does this make him evil even though he did them for the ‘right’ reason?

This book does not stand on its own. There are many references to events and people in the first book. I strongly advise reading 2084: Book One: 2069 before reading this one for the best understanding of the story. I must state emphatically that this book is for adults only due to the content previously mentioned. I would recommend it to those who love challenging and philosophical sci-fi with dark undertones. Having an open mind is essential to enjoying the book. Regretfully, due to the book having more than ten errors and the difficulties stated above, I am unable to award it full stars. However, I enthusiastically give it 3 out of 4 stars for the author’s talent in evoking his reader’s emotions and self-reflection and the intriguing storyline.

View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am very interested in this book. I read a review of the first one, also, and I’m going to start this series soon. I am glad to know that it does not stand on its own. That’s a good tip for anyone interested.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

I am in full appraisal of your review. It is beautifully put down and allows itself to tell a tale about the characters of this book without saying too much, but saying enough.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
EVERLASTING 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everlasting-22.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by EVERLASTING 22 »

It would be breathtaking for me to read about a being with Brain to computer interface implanted in their brain. I mean, imagine what computers can do. Now take that and put the whole programme into someone's mind! This seems like my cup of tea. Thank you for the review.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

This book takes me back to some sci fo series I watched in the past. The storyline, the plot; everything seems so original and well thought out. This is definitely a book I won't think twice about before adding to my bookshelf. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

I love how you reviewed the book successfully passing your message without any spoilers, it's indeed worth noting. I'm looking forward to reading this book.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

This book sounds intriguing and I would love to read it. It must have been difficult to write a good review of this book without revealing any spoilers. Congratulations on a well written review.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

It's a bit sad that authors can't get their message through without grafic violence, sex, profanity. Of course, there are lot of things that are not okey in our world and these issues have to be addressed.
Great review!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I enjoy reading fictional books especially when it is action packed, and I am sure this book won't be an exception. The review captivated me already, welldone
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Amy Luman wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 10:28 I am very interested in this book. I read a review of the first one, also, and I'm going to start this series soon. I am glad to know that it does not stand on its own. That's a good tip for anyone interested.
Sorry for the late reply; I've been on temporary hiatus from the site. So far, I have found the series quite intriguing and am eagerly looking forward to the next book. Thanks for dropping by and commenting. I appreciate it!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Chimereucheya O wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 12:39 I am in full appraisal of your review. It is beautifully put down and allows itself to tell a tale about the characters of this book without saying too much, but saying enough.
Thank you for the lovely compliment!! Sorry for the late reply; I've been on temporary hiatus from the site. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I really suck when it comes to book series. But after reading your review, I would like to try all the other book series. Nice review.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Shifah HN wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 14:41 I really suck when it comes to book series. But after reading your review, I would like to try all the other book series. Nice review.
I have difficulty keeping up with series' too. I just happened to luck across both of these on the review board! Serendipity perhaps. Thanks for dropping by and commenting!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The first book of this series seemed like a thought-provoking novel that brutally forces the reader to go into dark possibilities of humanity's future and the human mind. I see that this sequel continues on the same path, so I have to find the right momento to read such a dark series. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in this series, and judging by your review, I already have high hopes for the sequel.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”