Review of Dream in a Suitcase

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Dream in a Suitcase

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dream in a Suitcase" by Domnica Radulescu.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dream in a Suitcase is a memoir that unravels the journeys, struggles, and challenges from the author's viewpoint as a European immigrant of Romanian descent in the United States and a single mother, artist, and scholar. Domnica Radulescu shares different happenings or occasions that influence her life journey as an immigrant and her thoughts about them.

This writer displayed her flawless ability to drown her readers in her world, as she was remarkable with her storytelling patterns. Most of her story events were artistically worth writing about, suspenseful enough to share, and compelling enough to keep her readers invested in them. One resounding feature of this book was her uncanny wits and her delightful ways of infusing humor into serious, relevant issues. It was an incredible way to get the point across and make sure the reader understood her message. Some tragic occurrences, like her father's death and her second divorce, didn't seem to dim the cheerful appeal of this book or make the book emotionally dull.

Domnica Radulescu avoided many technical terms. Her writing skills were accurate and exceptional in her portrayal or expert description of environments and things that compelled or produced a vivid picture of her points. An example was her ample description of Communist Romania in the era of communist dictatorship, which gave me detailed information on the norms of the Romanian society of that time. However, much emphasis was not laid on the characters' descriptions, as she kept them at a minimum. As the main character of her memoir, Domnica Radulescu trimmed her book with only relevant events to align with the book's central theme.

Overall, this book was easy to read and comprehend, although I had difficulty grasping the timelines of events in her life. Actual dates should be denoted in most parts of the book to bolster and simplify the information passed across. However, an abundance of written humorous thoughts negates any form of bore the book might have been. Aside from learning a bit of Romanian history, which was historically correct, the writer shared her ideals or philosophies on being a single mother and an educator.

With a few errors, I'd say Dream in a Suitcase was professionally edited and would rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to any reader interested in biographies or diaries and true-life events. Dream in a Suitcase could also serve as an inspirational book.

Dream in a Suitcase
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

Your admiration for this book is seen in your rating, and in each sentence you have adopted in your review. The writing style, the humor, the ease of reading; one can only hope this book meets up to the expectations you have evoked with your review. Great work.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

Domnica seems to be an interesting person and his story must be inspiring. Thanks for the review.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I like the cover and the title also. Sure the author is a talented artist who has a lot to tell from her eventfull life. Fine review.
Priesthood1341
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Priesthood1341 »

The title is so enticing. A woman that make a story appear real in face of the reader. What a talent!
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

Wow, a Romanian who made it! So glad to find one here as an accomplished writer! Writing about Communist times and honestly telling her own story makes this author worth reading!
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

I love the book's title so I would be adding to my book to read. Thank you for your review. Bravo!!!
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

I would only read this because the reviewer made it clear that the author avoided technical terms in the book. This would make the book easy to comprehend. Thanks for the review.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

I would like to see how Domnica's experience influenced her life. Life experiences are great lessons ever. I don't take them for granted. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Austin Debby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-debby.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Austin Debby »

The added humor was a relief. I commend the author for adding that. Your review was excellently written.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”