Review of It May Be True

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Review of It May Be True

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It May Be True" by Robert L. Snider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I didn’t know what to make of the recent government directive where people were forced to take the COVID-19 jab. With the administration or the big pharma controlling the flow of information, for some people, it proved the notion that the government could go out of its way to pull off a hoax targeting its citizens. As an example, in the recent past, the U.S. government had been criticized for detaining people at the Guantánamo Bay detention camp in Cuba without trial, all in the name of national security. In his book It May Be True: A Teenager’s Lesson when Volunteering for the Government, Robert L. Snider narrates a chilling story of what happens when the government impedes the public’s right to information.

Upon receipt of a draft notice, Jim, a high school graduate, reported for an induction exercise at his nearest county military facility. After a prolonged duration of not receiving any feedback, Jim went back to the county office to inquire. Eventually, he learned that his paperwork was lost in transit. Being a reasonable young man, Jim decided to forge ahead with his plans, only to be surprised when a certain secretive government body invited him for an interview.

Jim’s story is yet another example of how the government has abused the trust bestowed on it by the public. Despite the democratic ideals that elect our leaders, I was dismayed that a jobless youth could be hoodwinked into joining a secretive government program without his parents’ knowledge. Even so, I liked this novel because it beautifully dramatized the balance between Jim’s right to know what he was signing in for and the government’s need for secrecy.

Furthermore, this story was interesting because it illustrated how one man helped shape the course of the Vietnam War. Regardless, even though Snider featured only a few characters in his novel, I found their identity confusing and uninspiring. This was mainly because of several characters who were sharing the name “Bob” in the story. To elaborate, the author featured a Bob’s Drive Inn; Jim’s instructor was called Bob; and the president’s legal representatives were called Tom and Bob. This was the only aspect I disliked about the novel. Otherwise, the book’s editing was nearly perfect, save for a few errors I identified. Because of the observed weakness, I rated the novel 3 out of 4 stars.

This would be an excellent novel for someone looking for something uplifting from the Vietnam War era. It’s told from the perspective of a non-combatant, hence, it’s a good option for young readers interested in history. At the same time, there is an instance of a cold-blood murder in the novel, so it may not be for the faint-hearted.

It May Be True
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

This book does not impress me from your review. I would not be reading it
Stephen Onyango 3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stephen Onyango 3 »

The book is educative as it educates on how the government should not be trusted
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Sometimes I get to feeling that I’m way to cynical when it comes to getting information from the government. Then I read something like this and wonder if I’m still too trusting.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

I don't like the storyline of book but it appeal to readers who enjoy reading about War. Nicely written review.
Daniel Oluwabiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Daniel Oluwabiyi »

I would be lying if I said I understood your review. I would not be reading this book.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

This book depicts the betrayal of the government. It shows the untrustworthy nature of the government.
EVERLASTING 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everlasting-22.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by EVERLASTING 22 »

I find the storyline a bit boring from the review. But I like the themes that the book brings fourth. I would give it a try. Thank you for the honest review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

The book is just another eye opener on the fraud our governments commit. But you trying to correlate the story with covid-19 was a deviation. I hope to see more of your reviewa welldone
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

The book seems to be all over the place for me, although the theme of Government betrayal may be interesting. But I think I will pass, thank you for the review
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

This book deals with the ills the governments in the current time. Thanks for the review.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

This book is an eye opener to citizens of different country. Most government are not transparent, they tend to misuse the trust the public has in them. Great review!
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

Well, I believe that, there is always an atom of truth behind every information. The case of covid19 is a mystery that most people don't know about. Nice review.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

The book seems to be an eye-opener on distrust and betrayal on the part of the government. Though it's a theme of interest, I'll just bypass this book for now. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”