J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
textbooklove
Bookshelf Size: 0

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit

Post by textbooklove »

when i was young (i'm 23) i would watch the 1977's cartoon version of The Hobbit and because of that I've always been a fan of Lord of the Rings trilogy. I finally read The Hobbit and loved it. What did you all think about it? :?:
xmybook

Post by xmybook »

In my opinion the Hobbit was the best book, at least compared to the famous Trilogy. I remember re-reading the Trilogy books before watching each movie released. Great books and movies, but the Hobbit is still my favorite.

I loved the puzzles that Bilbo had to figure out, I believe it was page 84 in my book. If you have the book and want to re-read the puzzles to see if you remember the answers...it will take you back.

enjoy!
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

I am a great fan of Tolkien. I love the trilogy more than Harry Potter. I love Harry Potter too but The Lord of the Rings is more epic. It goes for The Hobbit too.
Litgen

Post by Litgen »

My opinion it that The Hobbit is the best book of Tolkien. I've read it the last, but I liked it the best! :)
aliengeek

Post by aliengeek »

Can't complain about the classics. The original Hobbit movie was great IMO. It took us into a cool new world without defineing conventions.

I enjoyed it.
batman

Post by batman »

The Hobbit was an easier read. Probably because it was intended for children as well as adults. Lord Of The Rings is a bit more of a slog (with all the detailed history for pages and pages) though no less fantastic.
loladarling

Post by loladarling »

Well I would agree that the Hobbit is Tolkien's best book because its the only one I've ever been able to finish and I gave LOR quite a few chances but I could never get it to it, the introduction was more interesting than the book!
Cath

Post by Cath »

I have recently read The Hobbit and I thought it was brilliant, I tried reading The Lord Of The Rings a few years ago but I only read a few chapters before I gave up on it, I think it was the sheer size of the book that was ofputting. The Hobbit was a much easier read and I can't wait for the film to be released.
DavidB52

Post by DavidB52 »

I thought it was very good.
And I read the "Lord of the Rings", and "The Silmarillion".
If you find that you are into J. R. R. Tolkien's world, "The Silmarillion" is a prequel, giving a lot of background of Middle Earth (but I found it a drier read than the other books).
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

As per the above comments, I too love "The Hobbit" and think it's a brilliant piece of writing and far more accessible than LOTR.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

Loved the Hobbit! One of my all time favorites. Have read the book a couple of times, but plan on reading it again before the movie comes out so my memory won't be quite so foggy.
jeffnc

Post by jeffnc »

I also must admit that The Hobbit was probably my favorite of Tolkien's works. While I enjoyed LOTR, The Hobbit was somehow different, perhaps more compact yet also somehow more intense. The most memorable scenes from the book will be when Bilbo first finds the ring, and his journey through the dark forest of Mirkwood. What an impression it must have made on me considering it's been over thirty years since I first read it!
Murphym

Post by Murphym »

I didn't even know this book existed (stupid me) I suppose I will go and buy it now, thanks :D
Texansfan

Post by Texansfan »

I loved the Hobbit. I own LOTR and the Silmarillion as well but the Hobbit is the most fun of all of them. It was a bit of a struggle to get through some parts of the Silmarillion and the Tom Bombadil part of LOTR was in my opinion a bit of a waste of my time and equally difficult to get through, the Hobbit didn't have any of that. I do have Children of Hurin in my "to read" pile but I have so many in the pile I am not sure when I will get to it. EEK! Anyway, just wanted to throw my two cents in!
brttn89
Favorite Author: Mark Twain
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
fav_author_id: 2664

Post by brttn89 »

I love it! It was the only one i could read...
'Classic' a book which people praise but don't read~Mark Twain

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”