Review of The Decision

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of The Decision

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Decision" by Michael D. Komeshak.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What can aliens do? What special powers do they possess? Are they able to make decisions about the best interests of others? Do they really care about our well-being?

The scenery in Hawaii was beautiful and the accommodations at the Waimea Garden Resort couldn't have been better, except for the locked doors, of course, but Jason Harper was apprehensive. He had traveled to the meeting with his girlfriend, Sarah, and his two dogs. The four of them were flown to Hawaii on Air Force Two, the Vice President's plane, and had received no answers as to why. Several UN ambassadors were in attendance, as were several members of the world’s community at large. At the banquet the first evening, all were told of their selection to help some seemingly friendly aliens make an important decision. What was involved in that decision?

The thirteen ambassadors, people assigned to help the aliens make their decision, and their supporters, were all housed at the resort. Along with them were stationed various members of the military, not only Americans but also those from other countries. Not only was Sarah to be simply a supporter of Jason and a bystander, which did not sit well with her, but a guard was to accompany her every movement and monitor her actions. Was this the work of a friendly alien civilization willing to help, or was something more sinister involved? The only way to know for sure is to read this novel.

Michael D. Komeshak's descriptions were superb in The Decision. I felt like I was inside the room at the resort, on the island, and inside the suite on the plane. All the places were detailed and very life-like. Sarah seemed to have appropriate feelings about the ongoing problems. I have no doubt that I would have felt the same. I thought it was admirable that General Maddox, Jason’s sponsor, felt guilty for having to keep the secrets of the government. The reader was made aware of how much the General wanted to share. This shows that some officials want to put civilians' welfare above the rights of the state.

I don't like that this book, and most others written on the same subject in America, assumes that if aliens landed on the planet, they would ultimately choose somewhere in the United States. It's hard to believe that one could be so self-serving, but I guess we are talking about someone with knowledge of the States. It is just my own opinion. Other readers may have no problem with this setting. I also didn't like how individual chapters were divided into separate scenes using slashes. I can't put my finger on why I was bothered by this, though. It was most likely a matter of personal preference. Racism, sexism, and religious affiliation were used as criteria for inclusion and exclusion. That made me very uncomfortable.

This novel is recommended to those who are interested in alien visitation. Of course, no guarantees are given, but this is another option for those seeking answers, even from fiction. Children should probably not be allowed to read this by themselves. Although the cover looks mysterious and inviting, there are several instances of profanity, and the alien beings and their actions could be a little frightening for younger readers.

I was bothered enough by the use of the United States as a landing site to remove a star from my rating, but I did not find enough errors to deduct a star. It had been well edited. This was a science fiction novel to make the reader think. There were aliens, mystery, deception, and suspense. All of these things worked together to make this an interesting book. I debated over whether this deserved three stars (I deducted one for the exclusion of people groups). I guess I'm just too easily offended, so I can only give this novel two out of four stars.

The Decision
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

The idea of aliens visiting the United States is absolutely all right with me. I would like to explore the author's vision on the themes the book raises. Thanks for an insightful review.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

I love reading novels about the aliens, your review is creative and captivating. I must read the book. Great review.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Ellylion wrote: 18 May 2022, 09:39 The idea of aliens visiting the United States is absolutely all right with me. I would like to explore the author's vision on the themes the book raises. Thanks for an insightful review.
Love this concept, too :P
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Dera Okeke wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:50 I love reading novels about the aliens, your review is creative and captivating. I must read the book. Great review.
Yes, read it! :P
CL Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cl-reviews.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by CL Reviews »

aliens are imaginary creatures and thir are many movies about them. Aliens can make decisions because humans are scared of them
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

CL Reviews wrote: 18 May 2022, 14:42 aliens are imaginary creatures and thir are many movies about them. Aliens can make decisions because humans are scared of them
Thanks for commenting. :techie-studyinggray:
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

You captured enough of the plot summary to arouse my interest without spoiling the book—great skill. I guess you're really easily offended too.😂
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Chinonso Onwurah wrote: 18 May 2022, 21:06 You captured enough of the plot summary to arouse my interest without spoiling the book—great skill. I guess you're really easily offended too.😂
It really is a good book! Just once i saw those things I couldn't "unsee" them. :oops2:
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

This review is so well-written I wish I can get my hands on this book already. Suspense and political drama is my fave. I believe I would enjoy this book because of that. Thanks for sharing your views with us.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Zwelihle_Myeni wrote: 20 May 2022, 11:18 This review is so well-written I wish I can get my hands on this book already. Suspense and political drama is my fave. I believe I would enjoy this book because of that. Thanks for sharing your views with us.
Great book. Just some things I couldn’t get past. :o
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

Aliens are incredible creatures that have been talked about for several centuries. The decision is a remarkable and enticing title. I therefore look forward to reading this book
Poetic Justice
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Sarah1738 wrote: 21 May 2022, 13:29 Aliens are incredible creatures that have been talked about for several centuries. The decision is a remarkable and enticing title. I therefore look forward to reading this book
Who's to say that we're not the aliens? :lol:
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

I have always loved science fiction that contains 👽 aliens.
Thanks for this amazing reveiw 💙
:tiphat:
OTrain Disene
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Ha-ha! I relate too. I hate how everything is happening in the United States. Even in their films, the US is the one that comes up to save the day. If you ask me, I think this is a propaganda, a soft version of it. Your review was fun to read. Thank you for sharing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”