Review of 2020

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of 2020

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "2020" by Ashley McCoury.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A new form of government has emerged. Mandatory injections have created a homogeneous society where conformity is valued, mankind is at peace, and its members live in a world devoid of hunger, social division, and inequality. Alex, on the cusp of womanhood, is about to get the injection that will make her an obedient member of society, but she questions the lack of emotion, empathy and individuality. After an attack on the Establishment, she escapes and finds herself in the company of people who are just very different. These curious people think differently and are resisting the injection. They are at odds with the Establishment. When hostilities break out between opposing forces, Alex finds herself caught between what she has always known and the new ideas that come with free will and personal freedom.

2020: Injection, written by Ashley McCoury, drew me in with its title. There is no shortage of opinions or debate about the recent COVID vaccines and what they may or may not do. Does the government really have our best interests at heart? Or could this be a conduit for increased governmental control as they usher millions of unsuspecting citizens into a new society?

There are many aspects of this writing that I liked. First, I really enjoyed the element of spirituality in this book, and it’s what sets it apart from others. It was not overwhelming and did not dominate the storyline by any means. In fact, the subtle appearances and references to a higher power reminded me of the books written by C.S. Lewis. In fact, 2020: Injection seemed to be a mix of the C.S. Lewis and Lois Lowry stories. I also found the plot to be energetic and engaging. I have to say I was genuinely surprised several times, as the story did not go as I thought it would. The characters were relatable and interesting, but the focus was clearly on the plot.

The book is exceptionally edited; absolutely no errors of any kind were found. The physical layout of the copy I received is attractive and neat, with chapters of appropriate length.

The protagonist in the story does not understand slang, as the conformity in her society did not allow for it. I did find that there were some inconsistencies in this element of the characterization. For example, Alex‘s dialogue is very literal and she seems to have to make an effort to speak the “primal slang.” Yet, on two occasions, the first-person narration describes her as “having the upper hand.” This seemed slightly contradictory. Other than this, there was nothing I disliked about the book; I give it 4 out of 4 stars for its original ideas and plot development.

I recommend this book to readers of all ages who are interested in thought-provoking fiction. Those interested in current events will appreciate the subtle themes that parallel what may be happening in today’s world. Students will also benefit from this piece because it presents a perspective that is different from the norm. Although this narrative is appropriate for all religions and beliefs, Christian readers will especially relate to the spiritual undertones. Overall, I enjoyed the imagination of this author and look forward to more books from her.

View: on Bookshelves
Wilson Odungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilson-odungu.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Wilson Odungu »

Good plot but 2030 would make a more appealing title taking current events into account.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

The summary draws it as a wonderful book. My interest has already been sparked! I enjoy such stories involving clandestine aims of some societies. This is a wonderful review.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Wilson Odungu wrote: 02 May 2022, 02:23 Good plot but 2030 would make a more appealing title taking current events into account.
Good point! Very insightful!
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

I would definitely like to read a view point into the future. It has a good storyline and I find it interesting.thanks for the review
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

This story reminds me of when the COVID vaccine was first discovered. Religious people claimed the intention was evil.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Sci-fi stories are my favorite. While the things that come with the injection seem like a good idea, what would we be giving up? Seems like Alex is curious.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

This sounds interesting. It’s a bit odd that the name of the book is set in the past though.
Dami Bassam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dami Bassam »

The book speak about peace , inequality, social division and how the government try to help with efficacity all persons for best life. Covid 2019 is a big epidemic who many developping states do many efforts with the O.M.S to avoid this epidemic by doing vaccination. The strategy is to inject all people in the world. Different age can read this book, the spiritual and Christian readers have a benefit of the book. "We dont no , how the world can change , or something strange appear, all efforts by organism , government to avoid all desagreable situation.
Willard Damn
Favorite Book: Endeavor’s Run
Currently Reading: Brooke's Bad Luck
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Willard Damn »

It sounds like an interesting book since it's based in the world we live in today.I wouldn't mind putting it up in my shelf.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”