Review of Mickie McKinney: Boy Detective, The Case of the Absent Answers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review of Mickie McKinney: Boy Detective, The Case of the Absent Answers

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mickie McKinney: Boy Detective, The Case of the Absent Answers" by R.L. Fink.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's not often we come across a story that revolves around a boy detective character, and I have to say that I was excited to read Mickie McKinney: Boy Detective, The Case of the Absent Answers by R.L. Fink after I read the book's description.

Mickie McKinney's story is one of fun, mystery, and friendship, with a few other themes that its target audience, children, will not only enjoy but also learn a lot from. The story introduces us to Mickie's work of helping others, albeit in small ways, including finding the recipes for mystery dishes from the school cafeteria. Nonetheless, he is thrust into the regular daydreams he has in class when the new girl at school, Sam Hayes, finds herself being accused of stealing the answers to the upcoming history test. Detective Mickie senses that there is more to this. Can he solve the mystery of the stolen answers?

There is a lot to applaud when it comes to the idea and execution of this book. The mystery finds Sam in a lot of trouble, and the stakes are high, but the author expertly presents the story in a lighthearted way, especially with the kind of delightful characters in the story. Children will find it easy to connect with Mickie and see themselves in him when he not only offers his services for candy but also embarks on finding the culprit. It will not be difficult for readers, especially older ones, to put two and two together in discovering who actually stole the answers, but the question of how he finds the evidence poses the biggest problem.

Also, Mickie's story encourages the habit of helping people around you, and I think that children will benefit from this aspect of the book. I was also inspired by his bravery to eventually face the bully that tormented him consistently and even protect the bully at some point as well. Mickie is indeed a character worth emulating.

Furthermore, Mickie McKinney: Boy Detective, The Case of the Absent Answers by R.L. Fink is a professionally edited book since I found just one error in the text. The author also employs well-drawn monochrome images to bring the story to life at certain points of the story. However, I didn't like that these images were employed few and far between while the book included some advanced words that children may not be familiar with.

All things considered, the book was an exciting, satisfying read that will impart several key lessons. I rate this book four out of four stars. The issues I discussed mean that the book may not be enjoyed by much younger kids. Nonetheless, it was a fantastic read, and I would recommend this book to older children between the ages of nine and thirteen. Children who enjoy mystery stories will definitely have fun reading this one.

Mickie McKinney: Boy Detective, The Case of the Absent Answers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

The plot seems interesting. I do like reading children's books too. Well done for this interesting review
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

i think children's books that have a story and lessons behind them are the best. so much to learn from and teach ur child in a more calm way. great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
derick scribbles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derick-scribbles.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by derick scribbles »

Sounds like a boy detective thriller that I would love to read. Way to go bro. This is a good review.
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

Excellent Children's book, and very beneficial to young ones. I admire the effort the author put into the creation of this. I love the review BTW, it was magnificent.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This book is amazing. I've been always a great fan of detective bookshelf. I actually believe that books with a few or no illustrations are also important for kids to let them imagine freely. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Amy Bodine
Currently Reading: The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-bodine.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Crystal Orb by Evangeline Greene

Post by Amy Bodine »

I love the title of this book and I am thinking about getting it to read to my son. It sounds a bit more interesting than other children mysteries I have read with him.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

Thanks for the great review, the main character, Mickie looks like it would be interesting to read about, and it incorporates the habit of helping people around you, and thereof is a nice concept growing up children should be taught.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

Excellent critique of this book. I adore the way your review highlighted the humor in the book. I appreciate the evaluation. I am eager to read this fascinating book.

Return to “Children's Books”