Review of In the Year of the Rabbit

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of In the Year of the Rabbit

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In the Year of the Rabbit" by Terence A. Harkin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the Year of the Rabbit by Terence A. Harkin is a historical fiction book set during the Vietnam War. The protagonist is the Cameraman, Brendan Leary, a rather peculiar "soldier." In addition to his musical talents as a drummer, he has certain moral reservations about bloodshed. Throughout the book, the author clarifies that the protagonist is not an absolute pacifist, as he considers some wars valid (to annihilate Hitler's armies, for example).

As the pages go by, the character is losing loved ones and starts to question the purpose of that specific war. In one part of the book, this dialogue represents well what the character begins to question: "Seriously, how the hell is bombing North Vietnam and the mountains of Laos into the Stone Age going to help make South Vietnam democratic?"

It is not uncommon to see films or books with characters as protagonists who consider the war a disastrous and unjust event. That's not where the originality of this book lies. Have you ever read a story of an American Combat Cameraman who gave up on the Vietnam War and wanted to become a Buddhist monk? At worst, this story would seem goofy. At best, it would be something tough to narrate with the necessary psychological density. However, Terence A. Harkin managed to create original and brilliant work. This book reminded me of Hacksaw Ridge in many ways. Due to the time limit, a film director cannot develop the psychological part of the characters much. And it is precisely in this aspect that In the Year of the Rabbit stands out: in psychological depth. The protagonist will go through several traumatic situations: losing his lover, miraculous survival in different situations, and moral objection to the conflict. All of this will make him want to be a monk, and the author's psychological analysis of current events and the past was brilliantly done. That's what I liked the most about the book.

I can't imagine anything negative to mention. Some might say that there are an excessive number of profane words, and I would certainly agree. However, in a war scenario, one can expect that the military men wouldn't care about political correctness. Maybe today, but certainly not in the Vietnam War. That's why I can't consider it to be a defect. Since I couldn't find one single grammatical error, it's clear that the book's editing is exceptional.

In the Year of the Rabbit by Terence A. Harkin is a book of war and redemption. In addition to narrating the famous conflict, the book also brilliantly recounts the psychological battle of the protagonist and his constant effort to overcome his inner demons. It's flawless, and the author deserves to be praised for creating such original work on a well-worn subject. Therefore, it deserves four out of four stars. I recommend it to historical fiction lovers, especially those pacifists who would like to read about a soldier's psychological evolution in search of peace. Due to the excessive number of profane words, I can't recommend it to anyone under 16.

In the Year of the Rabbit
View: on Bookshelves
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

A story of a soldier who wants to become a Buddhist monk is worth exploring :) I'm glad that the author managed to find a unique approach toward well-known historical background. Thanks for a great review!
Alhassan Sterling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alhassan Sterling »

:) the story was too short buh It's very interesting and wonderful story I will rate the book 📚 four out of four
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Thanks for the great review; the story of a soldier who would like to become a Buddhist monk is original. Not many soldiers became monks during or after the Vietnam war, did they? I like that the author does not only narrate a series of events that lead the soldier to this decision, but he also gives us an insight into the psychological and spiritual process the soldier went through.
Jatto Onimisi
Currently Reading: Shitolian
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jatto-onimisi.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Jatto Onimisi »

What a review! Thanks for doing justice to this fictional, yet relatable story. I have always wondered what the opinion of war observers are about any particular war. This book seems to provide a lens through which to see from.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

This is a book of war and redemption. In addition to narrating the famous conflict, the book also brilliantly recounts the psychological battle of the protagonist and his constant effort to overcome his inner demons.
It is a must read.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

Really? A pacifist in the military. Doesn't sit well with me. I don't think that someone who doesn't see the need for bloodshed joining the army at such critical time; the Vietnam war. Sounds like a good story though. Great review.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I do not care for books based on the Vietnam War, but finding out more about life and the rituals in a Buddhist monastery might be interesting. Thanks for an insightful review on this book.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

Wow! This is the first hearing that an ex soldier wants to become a monk, while most would have turn to still be part of the security system. This is intriguing and worth reading.
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

While that Vietnam War still leaves a bitter taste on many tongues just like the Jewish holocaust, or the Rwanda-Burundi war, or the Anglo-boer War, just to mention a few well known genocides, such personal experiences as the American Combat Cameraman had, were censored out of historical books in order to stamp out anything that could null the justification of such a worthless war and not hold accountable the real cuplrits and profiteering figures behind the war.
As it's not a work of fiction, it is worth reading and should be treated like a memoir that espouses why shell-shocked soldiers psychologically continue being in the warfront even when out of service and why it's difficult for them to re-intergrate with normal folks.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

Thank you for the review. I don't read books like this very much, but I will give this one a try. I'm really curious what a cameraman soldier do. It is definitely traumatizing seeing what he caught with his camera.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the World
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I love books that really concentrate on character's psychology. I recently read Starship Troopers which is a very pro-war book so would be interesting to get the opposite view now, both from people that are in the war themselves. Thanks for the review.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

The Vietnam War hurt many people psychologically, and this book portrays that. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amprye
Currently Reading: The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amprye.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Amprye »

The psychological conflict that comes with war is often horrible. It is so nice that this book recounts some of that in a positive way. Congratulations on the book of the day!
Nawaal De Maar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nawaal De Maar »

The author appears to have taken an interesting approach that leads people to being reachable. Clearly there is something to learn, for everyone. A wonderful and unique insight into a life we could have lived ourselves.

Return to “Historical Fiction”