Review of Murder in the Garbage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Murder in the Garbage

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murder in the Garbage" by Jerry A Greenberg.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raoul Martez started a new job as a trash collector for Trinity Waste Management (TWM). He’s thankful for his amiable partner but loathes the upper management. They are rude to their employees, who are overworked and underpaid. Plus, he senses something shady about their behavior.

When the company’s CEO turns up dead in a trash container, CIA agent Hank Boucher uncovers an illegal network involved in trafficking stolen military weapons. But, who is the true culprit? A disgruntled employee? A jealous widow?

Jerry A. Greenberg’s Murder in the Garbage takes you deep into the heart of San Antonio, Texas—the home of the Alamo. The book is the first installment in this murder mystery series, with CIA Hank Boucher as the protagonist.

Greenberg is no novice, having written numerous books. He does an admirable job at making the plotline cohesive and free of frustrating backreads; this was a positive point for me. The story starts with young Raoul’s job search and college aspirations; afterward, it shifts to Hank Boucher’s post-retirement plans. These seemingly unrelated events create a panorama of the exposition. The mystery build-up is slow, though. I was disappointed that Hank Boucher solved the crime by engaging in long conversations with other characters while eating. His job was too easy, and he didn't struggle enough to make the reader tense.

My favorite trait is the respectful portrayal of a trash collector. As Raoul Martez discovers, the profession requires hard work and doesn’t get the reward it deserves. Greenberg even uses rubbish to initiate commentaries about social class differences. Without being rude, he makes an important point about wasting food: There are many people suffering from hunger around the world. These moments were important since they were thought-provoking.

The writing style is straightforward but often dry. My biggest dislike was the dialogues, which were too mechanical. There was little distinction between the characters’ voices and tones. As a result, they sounded like one person talking instead of many.

In addition, Greenberg depends heavily on visual descriptions, which are good most times but can be overused. For example, he mentions the height and weight of most of his characters. Yet, other sensory details were abandoned—they may have raised the story up a notch. For instance, the author missed the rotten stench of the landfill.

In the end, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I simply didn’t get the thrill I was seeking. All is not lost since this book is practically error-free and professionally edited; therefore, a lower rating is unnecessary.

The story leans towards the polite side, with limited use of profanity; therefore, I recommended it to those averse to foul language. For those hardcore mystery lovers, it may not be dynamic enough. Also, there is some stereotyping of Latinos and women, which may offend some readers. So, I would caution anyone who takes issue with these issues.

Murder in the Garbage
View: on Bookshelves
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

It sure is an interesting concept, but it is a shame that its lacking in a few areas. Thank you for the review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
erzaandjellal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by erzaandjellal »

It sounds nice enough to get me to start the book but not nice enough to make me finish it.
Thanks for the review though.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

it's a confusing message that I don't quite understand. thanks for the honest review
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

I like crime thrillers but the review seems rather critical - don't know if I should read it.
EssyJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyj.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by EssyJ »

I hope the author does a better job with their next book as this review is quite critical of this one. I'll pass.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I'd like to find out how the real culprit behind the CEO's death is discovered. Thanks for your honest review!
Horlarmidey Harkinolah
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horlarmidey-harkinolah.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Horlarmidey Harkinolah »

The story behind a company CEO death which could implicate an unsatisfied staff is an interesting concept. But the lack of thrill as stated in this review makes me lose interest.
Thanks for your honest review.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

RayRuff wrote: 04 May 2022, 05:54 It sure is an interesting concept, but it is a shame that its lacking in a few areas. Thank you for the review.
Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Olamide Akinola wrote: 15 May 2022, 09:24 The story behind a company CEO death which could implicate an unsatisfied staff is an interesting concept. But the lack of thrill as stated in this review makes me lose interest.
Thanks for your honest review.
Maybe there will be a newer edition. Thanks for your comment.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Ceeco2002 wrote: 09 May 2022, 17:04 I'd like to find out how the real culprit behind the CEO's death is discovered. Thanks for your honest review!
:D Unfortunately, I can't tell you that. But I hope you get a chance to find out. Thanks for your comment.
Tina M 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tina-m-2.html
Latest Review: Ituy by Taylor Willingham

Post by Tina M 2 »

The plot seems quite interesting but the critical review makes me a bit skeptical to read it. Thanks for the review.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Tina M 2 wrote: 21 May 2022, 15:35 The plot seems quite interesting but the critical review makes me a bit skeptical to read it. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading my review and leaving a comment!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Elenimo Chembe wrote: 05 May 2022, 03:44 I like crime thrillers but the review seems rather critical - don't know if I should read it.
This is just my view, but you may find it appealing. Thanks for the comment!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Christopherio wrote: 04 May 2022, 18:49 it's a confusing message that I don't quite understand. thanks for the honest review
That's a good way of putting it. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”