Review of The Ironbark Hill Saga

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Review of The Ironbark Hill Saga

Post by Ekezie1998 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ironbark Hill Saga" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ironbark Hill Saga by Jennie Linnane is a fictive narration about a mixed Australian low-class rustic family. The Chapmans or Townsends is a family of six led to live a difficult poverty-stricken life under the iron fist of an alcoholic patriarch. The story sums up their life in the ‘drought-ravaged’ ironbark hill, their wins, setbacks, shenanigans, and experiences together as a family. This narrative, however, focuses majorly on Natalie, Irma’s first daughter from her first marriage.

A girl so gutsy, full of spirit, and brave. But these attributes only put her at the forefront of her step-father’s distaste. Despite the continuous self-depreciation and discrimination meted on her because she is part-aboriginal, she dreams of becoming a landscape artist and her family’s freedom from her step-father. What happens when her dreams do come true? And would the family be able to bear the price for their freedom?

There are significant positive aspects to this book. Complimentary to the novel's settings- the mid-1950s in Australia- the author captured major societal issues dominant within that period. She successfully addressed poverty, discrimination against aboriginal people because of their skin, and farming practices.

The author chose to narrate her story by lending her voice to the characters in the novel. The novel is written from the characters’ point of view. This gave the book a nostalgic tone. It felt like the characters were not created or imagined and told their actual life experiences. I can remember going back to the beginning of the book to confirm that this book is fiction. If the author wanted to create a fictional story with a realistic touch, she succeeded greatly in doing that. More so, the book had a proper resolution. The stories of the different characters were finished off nicely.

I very much enjoyed the way the author was able to portray Natalie’s family; diverse, different, and intriguing personality traits. Jennie Linnane worked a terrific combination of brave Natalie, handsome but intellectually impaired Joey, sassy Shirley, quiet Robyn, and strong Irma. Her characters equally exhibited growth and development both physically and mentally, and emotionally. This could give the book the right to be referred to as a coming-of-age novel. There were minor grammatical errors in the book as well. However, the book was professionally edited.

Likewise, there are negative aspects to this novel. The book was bland, with no action or suspense to spice things up. There were opportunities for the author to turn this book into a suspenseful read, but they were rather wasted. Unless this was intended by the author, she otherwise wrote a basic story. Admittedly, I did applaud the author’s choice to write from the characters’ point of view. However, the author's excessive indulgence in writing from the characters’ point of view has turned this into a downside.

It was pretty absurd for almost every character in the novel to have their point of view written, even George McCauley, a gardener! This decision definitely occasioned the appearance of loads of irrelevant details and backtracking. I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars because of the above observations. I recommend this book to persons that enjoy general fiction that center around one’s right to self-determination.

The Ironbark Hill Saga
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I wonder if the family experienced real change or if this was just a "slice of life" story.
Egoli
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Egoli »

As a new member, I am excited to read this review. I find it interesting and insightful.

I feel for Natalie. I hope her bravery and aliveness see her through.
Mvuruzo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mvuruzo »

Natalie is a character, as well as an inspiration to people undergoing tortuous situations. I really enjoyed this review, and I hope to master the skills required to write a good review soon.
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Akinola John »

I like the way the author inserts his life story into this fictional book. Thanks for the great review.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

The book promised a great read. It's great as the author is able to make the book's characters real by giving them ability to develop physically, mentally and emotionally.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

this sounds like nicole kidman's movie where she had an original adopted son, even thought the plot is a little different, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This seems like an inspirational novel. It sounds very realistic.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a historical fiction coming-of-age story that takes place from 1954-1990. Difficult issues & themes are beautifully portrayed, and the vivid descriptions and details balance perfectly with the emotional events, making the experience enjoyable & real for the reader. I love this author! Thank you for your review. :-)
Nweze Raalchukwu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nweze-raalchukwu1.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nweze Raalchukwu1 »

The book seems to show the character's development. I like books that can do this well.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. If I remember correctly, some books in this series were introduced individually as BOTD before, but as the reviewer said, the plot is quite unimpressive, so it is not my cup of tea.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83781
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1136%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Historical fictional book it is
16yo Natalie clampman has severe significant handicapped brother from Alex Townshend,her alcohol stepfather to avange the death of her part oboriginal father and rise above the family poverty to become a teacher and art and during that time he met someone and fall in love with him and that person changed her life for better.it was well written and reviewed 🥂✅📖 BOTD congratulations Goodreads
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow&rsquo;s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like an inspiring book! In addition to telling Natalie's story, the author highlights everyday issues like poverty, discrimination, and even farming, That is a plus for this book. I always enjoy books with situations I can relate to personally or see others struggling with, even today. Thanks for the great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

The review sums up this family's rise from the gutter most to the uppermost of the predicaments.
It is encouraging though fictional to pick out scraps of what to do to get out of a situation, which could even be better by today's standards and worldwide affairs to vanish for good off the grid.
Good review.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

I can hardly understand the plot, so I will skip this one.

Return to “Historical Fiction”