Review of A Brush with FIre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of A Brush with FIre

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Brush with FIre" by Jody Summers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Art of the Dead Trilogy by Jody Summers is continued by the second book in the series, A Brush with Fire. Kira McGovern is happy with her lot in life, getting ready to tie the knot with Sean Easton, her love, and seeing success in her business, The Canvas of Life. A call from an FBI agent has the potential to turn all this on its head. He requests her aid in catching an elusive arsonist, having been apprised of her talents from a friend, David. The report John Thornton wrote credits Kira as being instrumental in solving a decades-long serial murder case, and though he’s a sceptic, he flies out to meet with her. She agrees, wanting to put an end to the fires and possible murders. This case turns up more than she thought it would, uncovering secrets about her past she never even suspected. Will they catch the arsonist before any more lives are lost, and what connection does Kira have with the mysteriously masked woman?

There were only six characters in the story of significant interest. Ordinarily, this wouldn’t create any confusion in the reading experience, as this is a relatively small number. There were constant shifts in points of view within each chapter, however. I reasoned this to be Summers’ attempt to mimic a camera panning back and forth between angles, but this didn’t carry over so well in text format, being slightly annoying instead.

As for the second negative, this has to do with the number and nature of errors I located in the text. I do not believe the book has been professionally edited at all, considering the mistakes scattered throughout the writing.

My favourite part of the novel revolved around the portrayal of a holocaust survivor’s PTSD and how it influenced his granddaughter’s upbringing. It would have been quick to write the antagonist, Poena, as a murdering psychotic case, and while she embodies this to some extent, the stories of her upbringing will definitely elicit a measure of sympathy in readers. Some dark themes were explored, rather gorily at that, such as the treatment of the Jewish prisoners at the hands of the Nazis and the measures they took to survive. Poena’s crimes also took a nauseatingly descriptive route, so I advise potential readers to watch out for this.

The psychical element was also something I found myself enjoying. I admit, it adds a new dimension to the whole ‘getting into the mind of the killer’ trope. The four characters that displayed some level of psychic ability or clairvoyance did so in ways that weren’t exactly alike. They’re growing into their powers too, so this development was a nice extra.

I do wonder if Josh’s attraction to Kira was just a means to justify his apparent unlikeability or to make the female characters seem that much more appealing. Even Poena voices her annoyance with the attention her beauty garners her. On that note, there were multiple instances of profane and sexual content, so a mature audience is required.

I rate A Brush with Fire three out of four stars. The one-star deduction can be attributed to the presence of a large number of errors in the writing. Otherwise, this was an enjoyable read, with the negatives not being essential enough to affect the rating, and is worth recommending to lovers of crime and mystery novels with supernatural elements. Those who wish for fictional stories about the lives of survivors of the holocaust should also give this book a read.

A Brush with FIre
View: on Bookshelves
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

Great one. I appreciate well written reviews. This is because it gives me an idea of how to structure my reviews subsequently. Thanks teaching me what a good review is. And congratulations for having your review published.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I'm curious to find out if they succeeded in catching the arsonist. Great review!
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

The book seems a great read with mixed events.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html

Post by ellimctreph »

I thought this was going to be trite when I started reading, but this book actually sounds goods. Great review!
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

Amazing review and a great storyline captivating as well
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really dislike gore in the books that I read so I appreciate having that written into your review. Thanks! I am interested in Kira’s involvement in the mystery, but since this is the second in a series and I haven’t read the first I will have to skip this one.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html

Post by ellimctreph »

Your summary was really engaging. Kira sound like an intriguing character and I think I'm going to pick this up to get to know her more.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

This seems like an interesting book with a lot of plot twists.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The first book of this series seemed to me like an intriguing horror / thriller of the type I like to read, developed upon a quite original premise. Glad to see that this sequel seems intriguing as well, though I hope the author does another round of proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”