Review of Taking Charge: Vol. 2 More Stories on Aging Boldly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Taking Charge: Vol. 2 More Stories on Aging Boldly

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Taking Charge: Vol. 2 More Stories on Aging Boldly" by Herb Weiss.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Taking Charge Volume 2: More Stories on Aging Boldly, Herb Weiss wrote about the challenges that the older generation are faced with and the effects of those challenges on the younger generation. He also touched on the American economic challenges and made suggestions on how to combat some of them. The impact of the coronavirus disease pandemic on the aging population was also looked into in this book.

Weiss undertook a subject matter that was sober and realistic. The subject matter was not one of the usual issues; it would have been easy to overlook and set aside as unimportant but for the author's investment that brought these issues to the limelight.

"Growing old does not have to be a death sentence." This statement echoes the author's intention for writing this book. He wants people's minds altered on the general perception that a person's life ends at old age. He believes that older people can be empowered to take control of their lives. Growing old can very well become a motivation for people to pursue and achieve their life goals.

The title of Weiss' book suggested that it would show people the way to grow old gracefully. However, the book was more of a statistical showcase of the problems and challenges of older people. While there were some helpful hacks for older people, they were somewhat overshadowed by the myriad of statistics and reports that readers may have to sift through to find helpful information. On another spectrum, these statistics would assure readers who had faced the stated challenges that their struggles were not peculiar to them. Still, I would recommend more precise and practical steps to aid older people instead of a deluge of data.

One of the challenges faced by older people that Weiss brought to the fore was the prevalent issue of fraud. Weiss highlighted the contributions of modern technologies like 'automated dialling' and 'robocalls' in perpetuating these fraudulent activities. This showed the other side of technological advancement and how it could cause havoc on the lives of unsuspecting victims. The author provided some tips that older people and others could employ to avoid being victims.

It was commendable that the author included personal stories of people. For instance, I enjoyed the stories of seventy-two-year-old Nora Hall and sixty-two-year-old Greg Gerritt and how they adapted to retirement. These stories allowed me to see the working effects of growing older asides from the statistical data presented by the author, making it all the more relatable.

The concise quotes that began each chapter of the book aptly brought the content into perspective and cast them positively. They were encouraging and motivating. One the motivational food for thought readers could take from this book was this: "if you change the way you look at things, the thing you look at would change." This would undoubtedly improve older people's perspective on aging and their mortality.

This book could be described as a preparatory, informative, and expository piece for the aging population. As expected, I'd recommend it to older citizens specifically. However, younger citizens could also learn a thing or two from it. The editing was okay. Despite the slight issue I raised earlier, I’d rate Taking Charge Volume 2: More Stories on Aging Boldly 4 out of 4 stars.

Taking Charge: Vol. 2 More Stories on Aging Boldly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

A self-help book about challenges in old age seems unique to me. Thanks for the review.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I really like the concept of the book. It is really hard for old people and they face some major issues in life if they don't stay on a healthy diet. Thanks for the insightful review.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

This book as an informative piece for the aging population is a unique concept. I also believe that older people can be empowered to take control of their lives. Thanks for your wonderful review!
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

This is a great book on how to age gracefully. We hardly find books on this topic so I must commend the author for taking the time out to write this one. Your review mentioned that this book can be a self-help book for the aging population, but it was saturated with statistics. While this can be a bore, I enjoy analyzing data. Thanks for the review
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I'm glad that this book how's beyond the title and shows some of the challenges older people face. I don't think it is a book for me but thank you fo the helpful review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I like that this helps the aging population especially by giving tips on technology so as to help them avoid being a victim of fraud. Thanks for your review.
Ruth Frances A
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

This self - help book is most welcome. The review points out that this can help both the young and the old. I have always been terrified of growing old and becoming a burden for my family. This review makes one reflect on how they would prefer to be perceived. The statistical data should encourage any one who reads this book, especially the elderly, that it is possible to age gracefully and to still be useful. The real life stories are a boost. What a thoughtful book. Thank you.
Ruth Frances A
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

This self - help book is most welcome. The review points out that this can help both the young and the old. I have always been terrified of growing old and becoming a burden for my family. This review makes one reflect on how they would prefer to be perceived. The statistical data should encourage any one who reads this book, especially the elderly, that it is possible to age gracefully and to still be useful. The real life stories are a boost. What a thoughtful book. Thank you.
Amprye
Currently Reading: The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amprye.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Amprye »

This book seems like it provides great suggestions on getting older. Even though it is targeted to the elderly I am sure it is beneficial for people of all ages. Congratulations on book of the day!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting non-fiction educational book highlighting challenges that the older generation are faced with and the effects of those challenges on the younger generation. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review.
Nyaudo_Press
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyaudo-press.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon

Post by Nyaudo_Press »

Such a good book for the elderly and the general public. I love the realistic bit of this book. Congratulations to the BOTD.
Lateef Amusat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lateef Amusat »

This is a great book, I would love to recommend it for my grandparents because there is a lot of things to learn from it, from their physical health of spiritual health. It would old ones more meaning to live long.
Wayne Njoroge
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

Thanks to books, readers get glimpses of different perspectives of life. They also benefit generations both young and old by expressing life for people across the various age groups, which this book executes beautifully.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I think it's never too early to start preparing for retirement and life after retirement and if you still have your parents or even your grandparents or other elderly relatives and neighbors this book can be useful in a number of ways with its many suggestions on various subjects. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”