Review of The Caduca

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review of The Caduca

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Caduca" by Elaine Graham-Leigh.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After leaving the earth, humankind has colonized the planets Benan and Benan Ty. The Chi!me, the most influential race in the universe, send Ambassador Ar’Quila to Benan Ty. She aims to mediate a truce between the government and the ViaVera, an extremist group. A parallel storyline shows Terise, a distinguished member of the ViaVera, desperately trying to leave the radicals and spend a quiet life with her man. When Ar’Quila and Terise’s paths cross, both are unaware of what the future holds for them. Will they succeed in their quests? Or will the intricacies of Ty politics engulf them? Find out in Elaine Graham-Leigh’s debut novel, The Caduca.

Although the blurb described the book as political science fiction, its sole resemblance to science fiction involved a futuristic premise and a multi-planetary backdrop. The story itself was purely political, perfectly mirroring world politics. The reader could replace the planets for the nations on earth, and the novel would still make perfect sense. The themes and events felt too realistic, even to me with my limited comprehension of politics and diplomacy.

Graham-Leigh incorporated several grey characters, including politicians, members of intelligence services, and revolutionaries. Their faults, wrong judgment, and questionable choices made them relatable. I appreciated Ar’Quila’s strong faith in restoring peace and wanted her to succeed. I rooted for Terise, who wished nothing more than to free herself of the ViaVera. I admired Petrus Desailly for making a bold stand against the Chi!me despite knowing he would fail. At the same time, I could not agree with his decision, as he knew his non-compliance might jeopardize the lives of the Ty population. The enigmatic Jebans, the indigenous people of Benan Ty, captivated me with their mystical ways of life and religious beliefs.

Graham-Leigh featured a curious hierarchy of oppression. The Chi!me presided over the universe, even exerting authority over the United Planets, a supposedly neutral organization. The planet Benan, in its turn, tried to control the smaller and less influential Benan Ty. The government of Benan Ty had all but abolished the Jeban people from the latter’s home planet. An unquenchable lust for power led to clever manipulations, power games, and shocking betrayal. The Ty people suffered endlessly while the political leaders fled the planet. The media embellished the facts in favor of the politicians. All these sounded uncomfortably familiar, leaving the readers to ponder. How far could you gaze into the abyss before the abyss gazed into you?

I would have given the book four stars had it not been for the editing issues. Deducting one star for the errors, I rate the novel 3 out of 4 stars. This book would be perfect for politically aware readers. I would also recommend this to anyone looking for a thought-provoking read. However, the complex themes and the violent incidents require a mature audience.

The Caduca
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Sounds a bit complex; I'm not sure if this is the right book for me. Thank you for a detailed review.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Raymond N wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 11:08 Sounds a bit complex; I'm not sure if this is the right book for me. Thank you for a detailed review.
I feel the same way about the book.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This is such a detailed review but the book is not my usual read so I'll pass
Tehreem_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tehreem-khan.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Tehreem_Khan »

I don't see this review being written by one with a limited comprehension of politics and diplomacy. This is complex and heavy.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot or storyline. Would definitely love to have this book in my shelf. Great review.
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

The Caduca seems to be a book with an intergalactic theme. Humans have always had the notion of leaving Earth and taking over another planet. I think this book paints a valid picture of what reality might look like in the future. Thanks for your review.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel that's quite focused on political themes with an interstellar situation that is allegorical of the Earth offering some food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

The plot and story line seem to be quite interesting. A Sci-Fi with a political satire would attract the readers. Nice review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
mark Munene
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mark Munene »

the book is interesting but it as many characters that make it a bit confusing

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”