Review of Kings, Conquerors, Psychopaths

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of Kings, Conquerors, Psychopaths

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kings, Conquerors, Psychopaths" by Joseph N Abraham MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kings, Conquerors, Psychopaths: From Alexander to Hitler to the Corporation is a non-fiction title written by Joseph Abraham. In a nutshell, Abraham argues that we are the product of a civilization fundamentally built by violent men. Throughout the book, the author, an evolutionary biologist and a physician, skillfully demonstrates that conquerors are vicious criminals who unabashedly rob and murder people.

As the book begins, it focuses on celebrated conquerors and cultures; it then moves to examine undisputed crimes against humanity. Thus, the author cleverly demonstrates how the pattern holds with all conquerors, regardless of how society rationalizes their deeds. Abraham then moves to dissect the modern exploiter. Today’s conqueror, he posits, seeks power and wealth in the opportunities afforded by the corporation, government, and bureaucracy.

What I liked the most about this book was that the author proposed and cleverly substantiated a remarkable thesis. I had often thought about these issues, although in a rather fragmented and unsure manner. Thus, I was thrilled when I saw this book. Abraham writes well and keeps readers hooked. Using eloquent and clever metaphors, the author makes a compelling case. For instance, he compares the pervasive culture of greed to jazz music, for everyone knows the tune and responds to the other players with no need for a centralized conductor. I also appreciated the emperor’s new clothes analogy to illustrate how we tend to blindly defer to authority and tradition and join the oppressor’s cult of personality.

Although brilliant, this is not, as one can imagine, a feel-good title, quite the contrary. It systematically presents ample evidence to corroborate its thesis, and it is, of course, quite disturbing. The book presents some of the worst atrocities of history, and there are some rather disturbing illustrations. For instance, I was shocked by the pictures of mutilated children from the Belgian Congo. For her scope of conquest and horror, he believes that Queen Victoria could be compared to Hitler. In the US, he mentions, for instance, the ruthless and vicious behavior of Puritans toward the Native Americans.

In conclusion, I found no noteworthy negatives in this eye-opening title. It seemed professionally edited, for I found no errors in it. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Considering the recent events, especially the ongoing war in Ukraine, this is an indisputably timely book! I especially recommend it to readers interested in scientific analyses of historical and social patterns. Prospective readers, however, should be aware that this book contains a lot of violence, as one can imagine.

Kings, Conquerors, Psychopaths
View: on Bookshelves
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

Sounds like a very important and interesting read that I will have to check out for myself. Thank you for the fabulous review!
cutemami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutemami.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by cutemami »

This book seems very thought-provoking and those are exactly my type of books. Great review!
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I am happy enough to read your review, which was very good, but not read the book itself.
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

A review with an in-depth analysis of facts. Would love to read this book.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This is indeed a timely book, and I look forward to reading it. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”