Review of Voodoo Hideaway

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Voodoo Hideaway

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Voodoo Hideaway" by Vance Cariaga.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you had access to more money than you've ever had, but you had to go the bad and ugly route to get it? What factors would make you go for it or not go for it? This pretty much summed up what the characters in Voodoo Hideaway had to figure out for themselves.

Elrod's rundown life was interrupted when he took a free "Voodoo Malt Liquor" and found himself 50 years back in time. When he found himself back in 1999, he thought it was a dream. But things and people came popping up in his reality to the point of threatening his life. Just overnight, he went from being a homeless bum to being the most wanted man in town with fifty thousand dollars he knew nothing about hidden in his coat. A crazy scientist who could make people disappear in time was hot on his heels. An overweight gambling tycoon wanted to find him. The nightclub manager that existed before he was born was after him. Even a beautiful singer at the nightclub was also looking for him. He was the missing piece in various puzzles many people seemed to be facing in their lives. He wanted none of it, but he was stuck and couldn't escape any of them.

This was a well-told story in a well-written book that got me wishing there was a sequel. Vance Cariaga's Voodoo Hideaway was a thrill to my imagination, and it was filled with suspense. The author did an excellent job connecting dots to one central piece that climaxed to an explosive end. He created a good connection between a poor bum living a beggarly life, a senator having a significant say in the city, a wealthy man who amassed his wealth from almost everything illegal, and a scientist who wanted to make it big in life but needed a pawn. He made what didn't look likely to happen fit into a regular daily occurrence without detracting from the suspense.

I'd always been intrigued with the thought of time travel, so I enjoyed reading about it in this book. The author's humor was not loud but gave a subtle relaxing entertainment to a book where the characters were faced with life-threatening situations. I also loved his choice of words and how the storyline flowed, even when he had to go back and forth in a time difference of 50 years.

I couldn't find anything I didn't like about the book. Even with the few errors, I'd say it was professionally edited. Therefore, I’d rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Science fiction, mystery, and adventure lovers would relish this book.

Voodoo Hideaway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Many authors have used travelling back in time as the background for the plot of their stories. This also appears to belong to that lot only but the storyline is more complex and full of suspense. Very nice review, thanks.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

The introduction of this review asks very deep questions. The use of backstory also makes the effect a strong one. Thanks for the review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Time travel is very interesting to me. It’s weird to think that you can go from one extreme to the other in a matter of minutes like Elrond. Thanks for the review!
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

The plot is similar to a movie I watched not too long ago. Looking forward to reading this book. Compelling review
Ronnie Comendador 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronnie Comendador 1 »

I'm always intrigued with the thought of time travel,its about science fiction,mystery etc..! I think i enjoyed reading this book,! Thank you for the good review..
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

This book seems to have such an intriguing plot or storyline. Would definitely love to have this book in my shelf. Great review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Eldrod's life seems quite fascinating. I'm curious to know how it all turned out eventually. Seems like a great read. Thank you for your review.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

This sounds like the kind of book that interests me. Nice review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing crime science fiction novel with a protagonist using time travel to boost his wealth then facing the consequences. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”