Review of The Arrow That Flies By Day

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Simeon Amana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simeon-amana.html
Latest Review: Confessions by Philip Schulman, MD

Review of The Arrow That Flies By Day

Post by Simeon Amana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Arrow That Flies By Day" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John Thaddeus, a football lover, breaks his leg in his freshman year and is told by the doctors that playing football would be impossible. But with the help of his father and Sister Francis (an old nun who is John’s high school principal), John strengthens the muscles of his legs through constant exercises. Then tragedy strikes at the beginning of his senior year - his father dies of a heart attack leaving John devastated. As a result of his father’s demise, John cannot pay his school fees. Sister Francis offers to pay his fees from her meager resources so John can remain in school.

Overwhelmed by the loss of his father and the financial constraints, John becomes angry and engages in fights at school. His mother and Sister Francis soon enlist him in the Marine, where he finds purpose and discipline. He is sent to Afghanistan; this experience builds his character and faith in God. While in Afghanistan, he loses his mother to cancer. Later, John suffers an injury and is discharged from service. Upon his return, he attempts to join the NFL to pursue his dreams of becoming a professional footballer. Will John achieve his dreams despite his wounds? Will he make the much-desired impact in the face of adversity?

John Servant’s The Arrow That Flies By Day is an inspirational contemporary Christian novel with themes of unwavering faith in God, resilience, unconditional love, determination, tragedy, and victory. This novel is short and only contains five chapters; each chapter has a title that gives the reader an inkling of what to expect. The author narrates his story using the third-person narrative point of view.

Although the story was written in a straightforward manner, I wasn’t prepared for what happened in the fifth chapter. It was unexpected and unbelievable that I hoped for a twist to undo the incident. I like that this story is impactful, thought-provoking, and instructional. This book reminds me that life is transient; it emphasizes the need to live intentionally and make hay while the sun shines. It also encourages me to depend on God and pursue my goals with determination and focus no matter the challenges, just like John.

The only issue I had with this book is the use of American football terminologies. I am not familiar with the rules of the game and the terms used, so I couldn’t quite comprehend some parts of the book, especially chapter three. Nevertheless, I was still able to grasp the narrative.

This novel was professionally edited as I only found two errors in it. I would recommend The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant to lovers of Christian literature, especially those of the Catholic faith. This is because it contains biblical verses, and ample references were made to the ‘Mother of God’ and doctrines of the Catholic faith (such as the mysteries of the rosary). I also believe lovers of American football will enjoy this book. The issue mentioned above did not detract from my enjoyment of this book. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Arrow That Flies By Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

I like that the author taught with a story. thanks for the review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I appreciate what John had to go through on his journey to becoming himself. I am glad to see that he had others to help him along the way.
Nwankwo GC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-gc.html
Latest Review: The Chosen by Brandy Marks

Post by Nwankwo GC »

John's life seems to be riddled with a lot of challenges. It'd be really inspiring to see him overcome them. Great review.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

I hope John would overcome these challenges around him. Good review.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

Interesting review. Would really like to read the book to find out what became of john considering his challenges.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Seems like a great read. Thank you for the review.
Simeon Amana
Currently Reading:

Post by Simeon Amana »

Reading_Jack wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 02:24 I like that the author taught with a story. thanks for the review.
Indeed, there’s a lot to learn from the story. Thanks for your comment.
Simeon Amana
Currently Reading:

Post by Simeon Amana »

Amy Luman wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 12:03 I appreciate what John had to go through on his journey to becoming himself. I am glad to see that he had others to help him along the way.
Yes, Sister Francis (especially) was more like his only family (after his parents’ demise) and a guardian angel to John. She was of such great help to him. Thanks for your comment.
Simeon Amana
Currently Reading:

Post by Simeon Amana »

Nwankwo GC wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 12:09 John's life seems to be riddled with a lot of challenges. It'd be really inspiring to see him overcome them. Great review.
Indeed, John had it rough and his story is an inspiring one. Thanks for your comment.
Simeon Amana
Currently Reading:

Post by Simeon Amana »

BLESS_ wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 14:15 I hope John would overcome these challenges around him. Good review.
Well, I wouldn’t want to give any spoilers. Whether or not he overcame is worth finding out though. Thanks for your comment.
Simeon Amana
Currently Reading:

Post by Simeon Amana »

Lawrence+2 wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 15:03 Interesting review. Would really like to read the book to find out what became of john considering his challenges.
Thanks for your comment. Yes, I recommend you read the book. It may not end the way you expect though😀
Simeon Amana
Currently Reading:

Post by Simeon Amana »

Raymond N wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 12:05 Seems like a great read. Thank you for the review.
Yes, it is a great and inspiring read. Thanks for stopping by.
Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechukwu-fortune-njoku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku »

An awesome review. Kudos. I will really love to read this book. Overcoming life challenges is the growth with desire, I am sure John would have a good attempt at that; and I would pick a lesson or two from this story.
Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechukwu-fortune-njoku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku »

An excellent review. Well done. I already one or two things I look forward to in the book. I will read it soon.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”