Review of Up to the Toys

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Review of Up to the Toys

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Up to the Toys" by Sis and Mis.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Up to the Toys by Sis and Mis is an allegorical tale of current events. The Illuminated toys believe that they are superior to all other toys. Thus, they hatch a plot to take over Toy Planet. Nannymom, the maid, is not an Illuminated toy, but they believe she's too simple to understand their complex plan involving creating a virus to make all the weak toys perish. She, however, is smarter than they give her credit for. Will the Illuminated succeed? Or will Nannymom be able to enlighten Toy Planet and stop their evil plans?

At only around 90 pages, Up to the Toys is a short read. There is no profanity or sexuality. However, due to the controversial nature of the book, I would only recommend it to mature teenagers as well as adults.

The book covers many concepts including Covid, our two-party system, healthcare, racial division, and taxes. None are portrayed in a positive light. The allegorical terms used are easy to see through. For example, "Hollowcost" is used for the Holocaust and "Intel-tele" the television.

I appreciated the author's opinions. However, not everyone will. The topics that are explored are extremely controversial. For example, it's clear that the author believes masks should be voluntary. This is one of the least controversial topics discussed. If you don't have an open mind, this is a book best avoided.

The book also contains some spirituality. In the story section, God is referred to as The I. Many principles in the book appear to be rooted in Christianity, which may offend readers of other religions. In the story, little is explicitly stated that is solely Christian. However, there is a conclusion where the author encourages the reader to "Love God" and offers other biblical advice.

The biggest problem I had with this book is that there isn't much of a story. The majority of the book is in more of an essay format. Though all terms are allegorical, the story leaves something to be desired. The reason allegories like The Wizard of Oz are popular is because the story itself is so compelling. That element is missing here. This comes across as more of an essay, making it too dry.

Also, the tale itself doesn't have a satisfying ending one way or the other. It just sort of stops. In my opinion, the author would do better to turn this into a satirical essay. Otherwise, the story portion needs to be developed further.

In conclusion, the concepts discussed are worth further thought. However, the story part of the allegory is weak. Therefore, I rate Up to the Toys 2 out of 4 stars. Since it's so divisive, I recommend it to readers with an open mind who believe that there is more happening in the world than meets the eye.

Up to the Toys
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

From the title, I'd have thought this was a children's book. Thank you for the review.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I am a little sad at the recommendation, while reading your summary I thought it will be a great children’s book. Thanks for your honest review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

nwachukwu raymond wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 02:22 From the title, I'd have thought this was a children's book. Thank you for the review.
It was written for the author's grandchildren, but it's not a children's book. The topics presented are quite serious in nature. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Amiczy Magnus wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 07:29 I am a little sad at the recommendation, while reading your summary I thought it will be a great children’s book. Thanks for your honest review.
Though it was written for the author's grandchildren, it's not a good children's book. The story part wouldn't be intriguing enough for children. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 09:20
Amiczy Magnus wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 07:29 I am a little sad at the recommendation, while reading your summary I thought it will be a great children’s book. Thanks for your honest review.
Though it was written for the author's grandchildren, it's not a good children's book. The story part wouldn't be intriguing enough for children. Thanks.
Alright.
Muhammad Anwer
Favorite Book: Hamlet
Currently Reading: Moth Smoke
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Muhammad Anwer »

Allegorical tales have been a very good way to teach deeper moral lessons since Aesop' time. The present book throws ample light on the theme of superiority complex that instigates one to do the heinous crimes. Hence, it is a good book to expose the darker side of human nature and exhibit the traditional battle between. The good and the evil.
Thanks for the honest review
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I cant say this book is my kind of read. Controversial reads tend to be off-putting to me. And the lack of story certainly doesn't help. Thank you for a honest and insightful review! :D
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Muhammad Anwer wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 20:15 Allegorical tales have been a very good way to teach deeper moral lessons since Aesop' time. The present book throws ample light on the theme of superiority complex that instigates one to do the heinous crimes. Hence, it is a good book to expose the darker side of human nature and exhibit the traditional battle between. The good and the evil.
Thanks for the honest review
Yes, allegories have their place. I wish the story part of this had been stronger though. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 08:40 I cant say this book is my kind of read. Controversial reads tend to be off-putting to me. And the lack of story certainly doesn't help. Thank you for a honest and insightful review! :D
I'm sure that Wizard of Oz stepped on some toes in its day, too. But, that had a great story. This steps on toes and doesn't really wrap anything up. I'm not sure that's a good combination. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

The plot of the book seems similar to animal farm till some extent to me. Then again I'll give this one a try as you've illustrated it really well in your review.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Toys creating a virus to make all the weak toys perish sounds pretty creepy to me. I understand the connections to present day reality with COVID and all, but why make the toys to be the bad guys? 🤔 I have considered myself open-minded, but after reading your marvelous review, I am afraid I have to re-consider that. I also do not appreciate that God has been pulled into this story.

Thank you anyway for your good work! 👍
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

QualityAndQuantity wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 14:21 The plot of the book seems similar to animal farm till some extent to me. Then again I'll give this one a try as you've illustrated it really well in your review.
I hope that you enjoy it. Be sure to keep an open mind.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 15:47 Toys creating a virus to make all the weak toys perish sounds pretty creepy to me. I understand the connections to present day reality with COVID and all, but why make the toys to be the bad guys? 🤔 I have considered myself open-minded, but after reading your marvelous review, I am afraid I have to re-consider that. I also do not appreciate that God has been pulled into this story.

Thank you anyway for your good work! 👍
Well, there are "good" toys and "bad" toys. It's a book for a particular audience. I think its got merit, but it needs work. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

This is a nice way to look at the current gloomy events of the world. Great job on the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”