Review of Drunk Talk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Review of Drunk Talk

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Drunk Talk" by Mike Davis & TL Banks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Drunk Talk by Mike Davis and TL Banks consists of 48 chapters called discussions. Discussion topics include religion, slavery, racism, and homosexuality. This is just a small sample of the collection of topics discussed in this book. The book begins with a short introduction explaining that the discussions are drunken rants and result from conversations with other drunks on these sensitive topics. The introduction warns readers that they will need thick skins because they will be insulted by the authors at various times while reading this book.

The concept behind the book is that the authors are drunk and very opinionated about the topics presented. As a result of their liquid courage, their opinions are unfiltered and unapologetic. For example, religion is compared to theater. The difference is that with religious services you pay through donations during the performance rather than purchasing a ticket in advance. Readers are advised to “move on from this nonsense, sucker, and try being lord and savior to yourself.” Topics are covered in a humorous manner; however, there is a sharp edge to the opinions of the authors. They use a significant amount of profanity to make their points throughout the discussions. Name-calling is also prevalent.

For the most part, I found this book to be very humorous. I believe the authors achieved their goal of conveying the information from a drunken perspective. Although some readers may be offended by the harsh language, the authors ask readers to lighten up about sensitive topics. They provide unique viewpoints on happiness and the struggles of life. The book provides advice on a wide range of topics. The advice is interesting and explained to readers in a light-hearted manner. For example, the key to happiness is to enjoy your life in the present, instead of hoping for better days in the future. I think people tend to focus on the future and miss opportunities available for them in the present. Therefore, I agree with the advice provided in this book in several instances.

What I enjoyed most about this book were the frank discussions presented by the authors. They did not shy away from sensitive topics. They also did not filter the opinions they presented to readers. The authors’ opinions on the topics were explained and rationalized. The profanity and name-calling were what I enjoyed least about the book. I understand that the objective was to present rants on sensitive topics from the perspective of a drunk person. However, I believe readers may find this type of language offensive. Also, I don’t believe it is necessary to include profanity and name-calling to have the discussions that the authors provide in this book.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy books that take a humorous look at many of the issues and concerns in the world today. The authors provide their unfiltered opinions about sensitive topics in a light-hearted manner. The authors consistently recommend that readers have a drink and lighten up. This reinforces the light-hearted and humorous perspective that the authors wanted to convey. Readers easily offended by frank discussions about sensitive topics or profanity may not enjoy these discussions. I am not able to give this book a perfect score because there were more than ten errors in the book. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Drunk Talk
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

Your review is really interesting. It has captured my interest for this book. Adding this to my shelf. Thank you for the review.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Presenting serious issues in a comical manner at times sheds more light to the nature of such issues, although the image of drunks itself discussing such issues will definitely be worth laughing about at least all they are doing is talking....very nice review.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Drunk people discussing different sensitive topics will provide an interesting perspective. Great review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

What an interesting way to pass a message! Seems like an incredibly great book. Thank you for the review.
Dorine Jelagat
Currently Reading: Mama's Girl
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Dorine Jelagat »

The authors here being drunk to pass such a sensitive information is what makes this book perfect to be read.They had to come out with a way to do it. Congratulations.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I wouldn't want to be insulted by what I read, so thanks for the prior warning ... I wouldn't bother reading it.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

The author used humor to convey his dark message and that's very brilliant. Great review
Ronnie Comendador 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronnie Comendador 1 »

This review was interesting,presenting about the serious issue, although the image of drunks?great review..
Vidisha Alwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidisha-alwani.html
Latest Review: Cruise Ship Heist by Stuart St Paul

Post by Vidisha Alwani »

After reading the review, it is to my understanding that the book is not for the sensitive. The book actually should be for mature audiences only, due to the amount of profanity mentioned by the reviewer. Nevertheless, i definitely would like to read this book, as I consider myself to be pretty thick - skinned and topics about racism bothers me the least since it's a prejudice that are in the minds of other people and which neither is in my control not it should be of any concern to me. So, yes. I will definitely read the book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”