Review of My New Room

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of My New Room

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My New Room" by Jennifer Groff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The narrator in My New Room by Jennifer Groff is a child. (I'll assume the narrator is male for convenience and ease of writing this review.) One day, the narrator's parents were gloomy when they picked him from school. He has never seen them both so sad, so it affects him. To his surprise, the house they went to was unfamiliar to him and so was the place. He would later learn that his mom and dad won't be staying together any longer, and he would be living in the new house with his mom. Will the narrator adapt to the new life?

The story's most notable feature—which is also what I love most about the book—is that it tells how parents can handle separation or divorce in a way it doesn't negatively affect their children. It may be really hard to separate or divorce when there are children involved, but this book provides a possible way to go about it.

Furthermore, it gives a way to make the children aware that the separation does not affect the bond and love the parents had for them in any way. The book educates that constant communication, even after a separation, helps children cope with the reality more easily.

However, I couldn't identify the narrator's gender throughout the book since the book is written in the first-person perspective, and there is no reference or anything that can help identify it. (This is why I've had to assume the gender in this review.) I would love if there was a way to identify whether the narrator is male or female. Even so, I think this is intentional. The author may have done it to indicate that whatever happens in the story could happen (or has happened) to any child regardless of gender.

The book has a few errors, but they didn't affect its flow or quality. I will rate it 4 out of 4. It has an important message—when done well, separation or divorce doesn't have to affect the children. I really wanted to know the narrator's gender, but I acknowledge making it obscure could have been intentional, so it is in no way a flaw.

This is children's book, but it can suit anyone who doesn't mind the overly simple sentences tailored majorly for children. Its readers have something to learn about how to easily go about separation without affecting their children.

My New Room
View: on Bookshelves
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Separation is usually hard for kids. No child should go through it. Thanks for the review.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

This book educates children whose parents are separated, that the love shown by their parents wouldn't fade away. Thanks for your honest review.
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

Such a great message and concept behind this book. Its painful to see children affected by their parents separation. Thank you for the great review.
simone smith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by simone smith »

Such a great inspiration for persons being separated so that they will take the right steps before making the decision
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

It's painful and disturbing for kids to see their parents separations. This is such a motivation and inspiration for separated people
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

The double symbolism of the title to the content is interesting in addition to the first person perspective that gives the situation a possibility in real life. Children are very emotional and their territory when affected can spill over to their real environment- school, friends and even their self esteem. The author is able to give solutions on how the new room ( the new home, and the new life of single parenthood) should not be a hindrance for growth and fullfilment of responsibilities by both parents.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

I think this book is quite fascinating because when I saw the title, I had something else in mind. This book involves a child who's experiencing separation, his parents are not together and it has an effect on him. The book helps to enlighten on how separation can be worked out so that it doesn't have a negative effect on the child. Thanks for your review.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Divorce is always painful for the kids. Both parents should take this into account and try to alleviate any negative feelings felt by their children. It is great that a children book tackles this important and sensitive issue. Nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

Divorce causes a toil on children which usually affects their state of being. I believe everyone can read this and learn from it.
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

I agree with most people who have commented earlier that divorce is a tormenting ordeal for children. I'm glad the author touched on this.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

It's always difficult for children to handle their parents separating or divorcing. I'm glad this book is about exactly that. Wonderful review.
Essy moonlight11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-moonlight11.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Essy moonlight11 »

I'd thought the title was odd considering your summary of this book, but I think it may metaphorically signify a new room with both parents divorced or separated. Nice review.

Return to “Children's Books”