Review of Puck and Minnie All That Is

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Review of Puck and Minnie All That Is

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Puck and Minnie All That Is" by Suzanne J Warfield.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A dog's purpose is to balance Mother Earth. Some, with a higher purpose, are sent to teach humans about unconditional love. Puck is one such dog. His human is named Minnie. Life after life, they find each other until they each learn the ultimate lesson—to become one with God. Follow Puck and Minnie through each life and watch as they teach each other in Puck and Minnie: All That Is by Suzanne J. Warfield.

The book aims to show the divine purpose of dogs and their unconditional love. It comes in at about 100 pages and is in the third-person perspective. With a small amount of language and adult themes, I would recommend the book for older teenagers or adults.

First, it's important to note that the book is rife with spiritualistic tenets. It's never stated exactly which religion the book follows, but it seems almost Buddhist. There is reincarnation. Francis is discussed as being "The Holy One." The book discusses God being in everyone and everything. There is a divine purpose for every soul without a single one being lost. An example of one such belief is on page 91. "I saw things more clearly now, too; how suffering was necessary for growth to occur, and that not a single Soul would ever be lost when on the Path to become one with All That Is, who always provided everything needed to come Home." Atheists might not appreciate the subject matter nor would proponents of religions that don't adhere to these principles.

Moving past that, I loved Puck and seeing how he loved Minnie with all his heart. I enjoyed the lessons he learned and taught. The story crossed several different periods, and the author excelled at setting the scene. Even the dialogue was realistic, including vernacular when appropriate. I was able to fully immerse myself in the plot.

Furthermore, I liked the multiple eras that the book is set in. It started off at the time of early man. Then, it moved to the Native American resettlement. It even covered civil rights and the KKK. I appreciated that the author included such difficult topics. While the author doesn't shy away from tough subject matter, there were no gratuitous details. However, this might be triggering to those that have experienced traumas such as rape or abuse.

My biggest issue with the book is its depressing nature. At every turn, Puck and Minnie are going through some difficulty. It isn't just minor problems, either. I understand the author's goal—to show everything works together in the end. Still, it makes the book too heavy at times. I feel that there need to be a few additional lighter moments interspersed in order to strike the proper balance.

Owing to the specific audience that this caters to as well as the heaviness of the book, I give Puck and Minnie: All That Is 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those that enjoy spiritual books that focus on reincarnation, forgiveness, and becoming one. Dog lovers would especially enjoy this, providing spirituality isn't an issue.

Puck and Minnie All That Is
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

I don't like pets, so I may not enjoy this one. However, dog lovers will understand dogs better after reading this book.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds interesting and quite unusual. I love that a dog represents a metaphor of unconditional love, although the depressing nature of the book is a bit discouraging. But the book definitely finds its readers. Thank you very much for this great review!
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I love dogs so this book seems perfect for me. But the depressing nature you mentioned is off-putting to me. Thank you for a honest and lovely review! :D
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I love that dogs is a figure of speech used to deplore a message in this book but It's seems a bit depressing so I'll pass. Nice review though.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ghuddie wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 05:16 I don't like pets, so I may not enjoy this one. However, dog lovers will understand dogs better after reading this book.
The book isn't for everyone, for sure. However, it was an interesting read. Pets do show us how to love unconditionally. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ellylion wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 13:54 Sounds interesting and quite unusual. I love that a dog represents a metaphor of unconditional love, although the depressing nature of the book is a bit discouraging. But the book definitely finds its readers. Thank you very much for this great review!
Yes, I had to take the book in shorter sections because of how depressing it was. Still, it's worth a read for some. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 16:28 I love dogs so this book seems perfect for me. But the depressing nature you mentioned is off-putting to me. Thank you for a honest and lovely review! :D
I understand. The book is for a specific audience. It does teach about pets and unconditional love. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Asiaa Szn wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 06:12 I love that dogs is a figure of speech used to deplore a message in this book but It's seems a bit depressing so I'll pass. Nice review though.
Yes, the author shows that dogs teach us lessons in this life. However, the book isn't for everyone. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
beauri21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beauri21.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by beauri21 »

I don't quite agree with certain aspects of this book, not in line with my spiritual beliefs. So I would pass on this one. Thanks for the honest and holistic review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

beauri21 wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 21:35 I don't quite agree with certain aspects of this book, not in line with my spiritual beliefs. So I would pass on this one. Thanks for the honest and holistic review.
I completely understand. I do believe dogs give unconditional love and can teach us a lot, but the book is more specific than that. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

It's quite off-putting that a book with such a lovely premise would have a depressing tone to the reader. I do like pets, but I don't think I would like the depressing nature of this book. Thank you for your wonderful review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Hyacinth Bella wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 06:22 It's quite off-putting that a book with such a lovely premise would have a depressing tone to the reader. I do like pets, but I don't think I would like the depressing nature of this book. Thank you for your wonderful review!
Life can be depressing, and, though I know we can learn from it, I don't necessarily want to read about it so much hat I have to take the book in little doses. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”