Review of Jasper The Wonder Dog

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Jasper The Wonder Dog

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jasper The Wonder Dog" by Richard Halliday.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Unlike humans, dogs have unconditional love and affection. They show love to their owners, regardless of the situation. For this reason, it's only fair that we reciprocate the love by taking good care of all our pets. If taken good care of, the bond between pets and their owners becomes unbreakable. Jasper the Wonder Dog by Richard Halliday, illustrated by Paz Fernandez, is a non-fictional book about Jasper, the author's dog.

Jasper has been living with his family for a year, which equals seven dog years. On their way to California, in a desert, he hears the engine, then realizes that either his family has forgotten him or he has been abandoned. He wandered into the desert, trying to find some food and water to survive. After days of wandering, he gets rescued by a sweet rescue lady. She takes him to a rescue home where Willow Morningstar cares for him and his newly found friends. When the author came to pick him from the rescue home and take him to his permanent home, he was thrilled. Will he enjoy his stay at his forever home?

Although this book has only thirty-one pages, each page is divided into two parts. This means that in other formats, it'll have sixty-two pages. It is written from the first-person point of view and narrated by Jasper, the dog. The first part of each page contains pictorial illustrations, while the second part contains the actual story.

I liked several things about this book. But what I liked the most was that the dog narrates the story. This made me see the dog through entirely different lenses. I didn't view Jasper as just a pet; I felt his pain and celebrated his successes. It made me develop empathy and compassion for dogs and all pets in general. Since I didn't find any grammatical errors while reading, this book was exceptionally edited.

In conclusion, there's nothing I disliked about this book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because I didn't notice any flaws during my entire reading. I recommend it to children between the ages of eight and thirteen.

Jasper The Wonder Dog
View: on Bookshelves
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

It would definitely be wonderful to see the story from Jasper's perspective. Thank you for the review.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

Great review. Sounds like a great story for children. Strangely, I don't like dogs
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

I always love stories that involve human and pet/animal interactions. Especially when I get to see from the animal's point-of-view. I'm surely gonna love this book! Hopefully the author provides the book cover too
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I personally like reading children books, and in this one, I'd like to know what eventually became of Jasper.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”