Review of 24/1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of 24/1

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "24/1" by Randy Herbert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Herbert offered to go on a second tour to assist those who had no first-hand experience with military tours. It turned out that his second tour was a deployment to Afghanistan for assistance to the military. However, it revealed that this brief visit came in handy in solving the puzzle and creating solutions to problems that had lasted for years, not just for the facility but for the whole of the United States of America.

In 24/1: What would America trade for Bowe Bergdahl, Randy Herbert wrote a first account non-fiction book about the story behind the release of a sergeant that had a lot of things in common with Herbert but had never met him in person. The American never negotiates; could this bring them to the table of negotiation? The story shed light on activities in the Parwan Detention Facility in Afghanistan. It shows the value of trust, cooperation, family, love, and respect.

On the things I found interesting about the book, firstly, I loved that the book was written in simple diction. The author intentionally avoided the use of many terms associated with the military, and that made it very easy for civilians to catch up with and understand the story fully. Also, it was great to see that each of the very few unfamiliar words used in the book was thoroughly explained or written in acronyms to make the reading experience more fun. Though an autobiography, the author did a great job by making the book suspenseful and hitting a climax. I loved that the chapters were arranged chronologically. I also appreciate the concise nature of the book. The book also highlighted the need for unity in diversity.

I couldn't place my hand on anything that was out of place in this book. It was an interesting read, and I had a good time with it. I have nothing negative to say about the book.

The book deserves a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I give it a perfect rating because it is generally interesting, fun, concise, and suspenseful. I didn't give it a lower rating because the author showed a good mastery of the military field. The book is exceptionally well edited. It doesn't contain spelling or grammatical errors.

I recommend the book to readers who enjoy terrorist and military stories; they will find this book very interesting because it involves a lot of scenes in a detention center. The book contains a lot of moral lessons for the young. It also contains character checks for the old.

24/1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mariam K 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-k-7.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Mariam K 7 »

Wonderful review, it is good, that you pay attention to the author's conciseness and mention it. I liked to emphasize the fact that the book is not full of military and complicated terms. Thank you!
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Great review. Lovers of terrorist and military stories will enjoy this one. Great review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Great review. I believe I'll love this.
Venus2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venus2304.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Venus2304 »

From your review, i believe this is a book I'll like to read someday. I like to read about the American and Afghan wars.
Great piece!
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I do love books that have simple diction and do not attempt to confuse the readers.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

I don't enjoy this kind of genre, so I don't think I would enjoy reading this book. Thanks for the review.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

I would have perceived that an unexpected militaryposting to Afghanistan would yield negative outcomes but was proven wrong as it then turned out to be a source of solutions..that's life anyway....a captivating review very nice...
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This looks like an interesting read, nice review
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

From the review, this book recounts the experience of Randy Herbert as a volunteer who was deployed to Afghanistan. The words used in the book are quite simple. I think this book would be a good read for me. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”