Review of The Sting of Death

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of The Sting of Death

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sting of Death" by M.A.N..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Sting of Death by M.A.N, the Killer Bee Gang (KBG) was bent on controlling the city. They carried out their mission vigorously and took over schools, banks, and other gangs with cruelty and gore. However, their plan was interrupted by the Gang Called Death (GCD), another gang with a similar mission. As the leaders of the gangs, Crane of KBG and Villain of GCD, go toe to toe, lives were violently lost. The gangs never envisaged the appearance of another formidable and deadlier opponent, the man in the rice farmer hat. The fate of the gangs would be determined by their ability to lay their enmity aside.

The story was narrated in simple language. The author's descriptions of characters were not extravagant but primarily generic. If storytelling could ever be described as clean, this book would be a good example. One of the beautiful things about it was the ease of reading. Readers would have an easy time going through the book from start to finish.

I loved the book's characterization. Readers would for sure find the character of Priest exciting. This character reminded me of Aramis from The Three Musketeers. The character naming was another thing that got to me. Readers would see names like Ghost (for his ghost-like speed) and Crane (for his intelligence). The book brought on a lot of action scenes; its target audience would be thrilled by it. There were references to exciting fighting techniques, like the famous 'uppercut.'

I loved how the author used Crane to showcase the power of the mind. He showed that intelligence was superior to raw strength. I applauded this message because of the class of audience to whom this book would probably appeal. An audience of young people would benefit immensely from such a message. The author also incorporated humor with the characters' dialogue, which served the book's plot well.

One of the negative things I observed was that the author's timelines were confusing. There were no clear delimitations between the already running storyline and a flashback-like interlude used by the author to show how some characters came into the story. They were all mixed up in a way that many readers would only realize at the end of the interlude that a paragraph went way back in the story's timeline.

There was also no strong sense of setting in the book. Yes, there were hints in the book that showed the story played out in the United States, and the players were blacks. But I did not get the 'feel' of the city that would have justified the activities of gangs in the area. Despite the hints, it almost felt like the story took place in the air or some mythical city.

This book had a good story and would make a good read. I'd recommend this book to young adults with a flair for crime-action stories. The editing was good; I only saw a few errors. But due to the concerns mentioned above, I'd rate it three out of four stars.

The Sting of Death
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dorine Jelagat
Currently Reading: Mama's Girl
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Dorine Jelagat »

Talking of power of mind and intelligence fits perfectly the recommended audience. Great review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Power tussle, sounds interesting. Great review. Thank you.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

When the two most powerful gang are enemies. This is going to be an interesting read for me, I can't wait to read this. Thanks for your honest review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m really interested in this book. It really sounds like something that I would like, with the rival gangs jockeying for position. I would like to know the level of gore that Is there, though. Thanks for the review!
SAJJAD ALI 10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SAJJAD ALI 10 »

When the two most powerful gang are enemie, This is going to be an interesting read for me, I cannot wait to read this.Thanks for your honest review.
Last edited by SAJJAD ALI 10 on 14 Jan 2022, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

Adding to my bookshelf right away
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

Whenever two big figures are contending the little ones would always suffer. This book tells the story of the clash between two gangs in the city. The author did a good job in the characterization of the story, and I would love to know how the clash between the gangs ended. Good review.
Duha Khan
Currently Reading: Rogue Justice
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Duha Khan »

Yeesh, typical gangs getting innocent people killed in their violent goals. However, there's something about this review that makes the book not seem so typical. Also, the power of the mind part gets me. I'm into psychology and criminology and therefore love things to do with the mind. The Sting of Death outta be interesting.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I can't wait to find out if the the Killer Bee Gang (KBG) and the Gang Called Death (GCD) came together to fight their common enemy. Kudos for the review!
janeadika
Currently Reading: The Fort
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by janeadika »

Talking of power of mind and intelligence fits perfectly the recommended audience. Great review.
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

The sting of death involves the mission of Killer bee. There is feud between Killer bee's gang. There is a clash for control between gangs, and it is possible that the whole thing might escalate. I would love to know how Killer bee's missions ended. Were the two gangs able to secure their desire? Thanks for your review.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this novel seems to have merits that make it engaging, particularly concerning the use of mental skills. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have always found science fiction to be quite intriguing and able to stir my imagination. This book certainly seems to possess such quality. Will love to try it out.
Andani2020
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Andani2020 »

The sting of death really sounds like an intriguing book I would enjoy reading. Firstly I was taken by the title and the plot seems it will not dissapoint based on the review. Great job on the review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”