Review of A Small Flirtation

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of A Small Flirtation

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Small Flirtation" by Buff Brazy Given.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Small Flirtation by Buff Brazy Given is a romantic novel set in California. Jenny is a widow who has two children and falls in love at first sight with a stranger at the airport. As if it were fate, the two start talking, and upon arrival at the destination, the stranger named Paul offers to take her to her destination by car. From then on, the two start seeing each other more often, and what seemed to become a serious relationship takes a severe blow: Paul is married and says it's impossible to leave his wife at the moment.

The two then continue to meet, but the relationship becomes increasingly tricky as Jenny enters Paul's circle and meets several of his friends. Even though she has other options that would be more "conservative" for possible relationships, Jenny loves Paul. After a long period without any intimate connection with men since the death of her ex-husband Tom, she is not willing to let go of this joy and feeling that life makes sense. Life, however, is not going to be a fairy tale paradise, and reality will be hard on the couple many times over.

My favorite part of the book was the clever approach to how some social conventions end up undermining people's happiness. In some situations, individuals cannot make the obvious decision and simply embrace joy. The interaction between the protagonists quickly jumps from a physical attraction to an almost pathological need for each other's company. In many parts of the book, Jenny decides to ignore wise advice from friends to live an adventure, almost entirely overlooking the possible consequences, as the author puts it, as if they were invisible.

One of the things I liked least as a woman was how Jenny submissively accepted the role of the second woman in Paul's life. This situation makes the reader wonder if Paul is not just a womanizer fooling the protagonist. In the end, the reader discovers that the problem is far more complex. However, this cannot be considered a flaw as the author describes a fictitious woman's behavior. What matters here is that Buff has created a realistic set of psychological conflicts in which reason and emotion fight a relentless battle to gain supremacy over Jenny's decisions.

On the whole, A Small Flirtation deserves four out of four stars. It is an addictive, easy-to-read, and touching book. Even though I found some minor grammatical errors, I can safely say that the book is professionally edited. Since there is nothing negative to mention, the score is self-explanatory. I recommend this work to those who enjoy romances with middle-aged characters. The plot is not a cliché, but it will interest even those who like an ultra-sweet romance.

A Small Flirtation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Funny how people just lure you into commitments they can make. Poor Jenny.

Thanks for the review.
Nahshon 254
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nahshon 254 »

Huh,I pity Jenny!
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Jenny could have moved on as not all adventures are to be participated in.....very intriguing read....and a nice review
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I wonder why Jenny chose to stick with Paul.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This is a fascinating romance piece that involves the progress of a relationship between two parties. I'd love to know how Jenny's relationship with Paul ended. Thanks for your review.
Ugonna Nworka
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Spirit-Controlled Temperament
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ugonna-nworka.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Ugonna Nworka »

What an intriguing plot!
I really want to read the conversations between Paul and Jenny so that I can better understand the reason they decided to stick to their relationship.

This book has a luring story.

Thanks for the helpful review. :)
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

After reading the sample and review, and although I am curious how the author managed to create a realistic set of psychological conflicts that impacted Jenny's decision, I do not think this is a book I would actually enjoy reading.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

Hmm, Jenny fell in love with the wrong person. If they love each other, why can't Paul leave his wife and be with Jenny. I think I would just have to read the book to find out. Thanks for the review.
Lola_Scotch
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lola-scotch.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Lola_Scotch »

Oh Jenny,Jenny, Jenny... finding out Paul is married should have been the deal breaker if you ask me. It really doesn't matter what else there is, but matters worse he's unwilling to leave his wife for her.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Romance fiction is my best genre to read. I'll check this one out. Jenny's story sounds interesting.
Mercyla5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Mercyla5 »

I'm usually scared of falling in love at first sight, because I believe in getting to know someone first. Most people have been in Jenny's position and that is why I feel like this book is so necessary for me. I would really like to know how it will be for Jenny. Thank you for this review, I like it.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

Love at first seems like a mystical phenomenon to me. It does not always work out the way we hoped it would. I would love to read this book so as to know if it did work out for the widow. Thanks for your review.
Rav_sid
Favorite Book: Inner engineering
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Rav_sid »

Love story of two people each torn by life who has reached a point of seeming contentment. Eager to read this book, Thank you for review
janeadika
Currently Reading: The Fort
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by janeadika »

Romance categories,all the way, poor jenny!!as for paul,why couldn't he leave his wife for jenny?? fiction!!!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”