Review of The Leadership Driven Method to Performance Measurement

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of The Leadership Driven Method to Performance Measurement

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Leadership Driven Method to Performance Measurement" by Bryan Shane and Patricia Lafferty www.bpcgallery.com.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every company or organization exists for a particular purpose. To achieve this purpose, the leadership of any institution must be adept at making big decisions and selecting the right course of action from several options that will drive the organization in the right direction. This leadership-focused book lays out a management assessment system to help identify how an organization’s leadership measures performance based on the institution’s objective. Where this assessment finds an ineffective strategy for measuring performance or doesn’t find any, the authors give recommendations for improving or creating the performance measurement strategy. The feedback from this process helps to improve decision-making within the organization.

Bryan Shane and Patricia Lafferty show how a performance measurement strategy considers the cogency of an organization’s undertakings in terms of its client/customer satisfaction, financial outlook, employee satisfaction, projects being handled, etc. They then proffer some ready-to-use diagnostic tools, case studies, and diagrams to provide people in leadership with a step-by-step process for setting up or improving their organization’s performance measurement systems.

This was an enlightening read for me. Bryan and Patricia wrote The Leadership-Driven Method to Performance Measurement with a focus on improving performance for both public businesses and non-profit organizations. The authors of this book showed confidence in the methods they prescribed in its pages, having validated it themselves throughout the thirty years of their consulting practices. I appreciated that this book wasn’t just theory—the fact that the authors were writing from experiential knowledge made it easier for me to accept what they were saying. It also made me more willing to apply the nuggets of wisdom they gave in my own little capacity to meet business goals.

The length of the book and the level of detail in the authors’ writings mean that readers may not digest everything after reading the book once. Executives, managers, and heads of departments can refer back to it occasionally to help them improve their business’s growth. While Patricia and Bryan gave out so much detail in this book, they made sure to write in simple language and avoid unnecessary jargon and technical terms. I also appreciated the inclusion of actual case studies of other businesses to show the success of their assessment system. The diagrams included also helped drive home some of the authors’ most salient points in a way that words could not.

Sometimes, an author can go overboard in a bid to be as detailed as possible—this was the case with this book. While they did not leave any stone unturned in their explanations, they sadly fell into the trap of repetition several times throughout the text. They sometimes also took too long to make a point; it felt like they were trying to make the book lengthy just for the sake of it. For instance, there was a table of contents and a content guide, both of which repeated almost the same information in different formats. Some statements were also rephrased severally throughout the book.

This book was exceptionally well-edited—I didn’t find a single case of grammar misuse. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars because of how informative and easy to read the book was—it would have deserved a full rating if not for the unnecessary repetitions. I recommend it to anyone currently serving or preparing to serve in a leadership role in any business or organization.

The Leadership Driven Method to Performance Measurement
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This is a great read for business owners. I'm certain they'll benefit from this performance measurement strategy. I'm not exactly big on business books, so I may pass. Thank you for the honest review
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

Wow! This review is long. I would confess that I skimmed through it as the introduction was boring. However, I found useful tips in it for business owners. I am not keen on commerce so I will pass
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

I love to read the book that can give me knowledge. The leadership is not only important for business but essential skill for in every aspect of the life. Thanks for this informative review.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Leaders of companies and organizations will benefit immensely from this work. Great review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

Seriously thinking of starting my own business, so this will definitely be educative for me.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”