Review of They Leave As Boys And They Return As Men

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of They Leave As Boys And They Return As Men

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "They Leave As Boys And They Return As Men" by Jerry Anthony Fulkerson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

They Leave As Boys And They Return As Men by Jerry Fulkerson is a non-fiction book during the Vietnam War. I'm rereviewing a book I had already read. To write the first review, I had read a PDF version. Now to do this review, I read a Kindle version. Harlan Powers is a troubled boy who was born in Oklahoma. After causing several problems, mainly because of alcohol and having received a couple of warnings from the Sheriff, he has to decide whether to join the army or be arrested. Not wanting to participate in land battles (and seduced by the prospect of working on television and radio), Harlan decides to go to the Airborne Radar School for nine months.

As the book progresses, the reader will discover that the protagonist will participate in the Vietnam War more actively than expected. Despite the war scenario, love relationships gain predominance in this book. Harlan has always been in love with Susie, but as her father was expecting a better suitor, he ended up having relationships with several other women. However, most of the protagonist's relationships with women are purely sexual.

What I liked most about this book was how Jerry Fulkerson managed to write such an easy-to-read and funny book on a subject as tragic as war. There are countless love affairs, jokes, and comic events throughout the book. As much as some situations are considered sexist today, the author simply portrayed events as they happened at the time.

There's nothing negative to mention here. I found only three grammatical errors in the Kindle edition. However, the number of profane words is excessive. This is undoubtedly one of the most profane books I have ever read in my life. The sexual content is equally extreme: there is a relationship between soldiers and prostitutes and even "threesomes." It was utterly excessive, and at times I wondered if the author was looking to create some kind of Fifty Shades of Grey during the Vietnam War.

Overall, I rate They Leave As Boys And They Return As Men four out of four stars. I had to deduct one star due to the grammatical errors in the first review, but I only found three grammatical errors in the Kindle edition. Therefore, this work is professionally edited. The book is easy to read and tells exciting details about the Vietnam War in a different light. There is, however, a lot of content that may shock the modern reader. The racial slur "gook" appears more than 20 times. There are also a large number of swear words and sexual scenes.

I recommend this book for men (and probably some women who are interested in war-related topics) over 18 who would like to read an account of the Vietnam War in a different light. Sensitive readers who don't like what was mentioned above should avoid this book.

They Leave As Boys And They Return As Men
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Readers interested in war-related stories will enjoy this one. Great review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Has to be a great art to paint a tragic topic as humorous. This should be an interesting read. Thanks for the review
Cyricky Cyril
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Cyricky Cyril »

:oops: Having a Amy as love is somehow bad as they travel for long mission,they fill press of stress that why army need sex and feel for prostitute.
Last edited by Cyricky Cyril on 10 Jan 2022, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

Soldiers have it hard. The prolonged stay away from home, added to excessive testosterone, sometimes leads to them becoming sexually deviant. Thank you for the lovely review.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

You had me at 'Vietnam War'. I enjoy reading such historical non-fiction based on someone who has actually gone through such struggles. Great job with the review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

The author did a great job in infusing romance and comedy into a book about a serious subject matter. It is lovely to see. Congratulations on BOTD
Judith Donald
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-donald.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Judith Donald »

I have never come across a book in which the author infused humour in the topic concerning war. I would like to read this soon.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

I would love to read this book! Interesting that you read it twice, and also, I find the themes of love and war very interesting. War is such an uncertain and miserable time, and it is intriguing that people still forge ahead with relationships at such a time. Also interesting that the protagonists' relationships are primarily sexual!
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

Although this book was written around the events the author took part in as a soldier during the Vietnam war. The book did not sound militarized. Thanks for the review.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

The author did a great job with the plot, characters, and storyline. I found them all fascinating. I'll add this to my bookshelf. Your review is well written. Congratulations on being the BOTD.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

If the author is writing his memoir and recounting events that happen it doesn't make it some functional erotica novel. Also, not all men read war stories nor do "probably some women" do.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I am interested in the Vietnam experiences and I like that it also holds some romance in store. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

While excessive profanity doesn't bother me, extreme sexual content does. I won't read this for that reason.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

There's nothing negative to mention here. I found only three grammatical errors in the Kindle edition. However, the number of profane words is excessive. This is undoubtedly one of the most profane books I have ever read in my life. The sexual content is equally extreme: there is a relationship between soldiers and prostitutes and even "threesomes." It was utterly excessive, and at times I wondered if the author was looking to create some kind of Fifty Shades of Grey during the Vietnam War.
That's funny. I don't mind sex scenes, as long as they're done tastefully. About the profanities, you mention...well, maybe that's how soldiers speak. I hardly doubt that men that are under such dire circumstances take the time to mind their language. But I understand how it can be bothersome, and it's something that the author could've tamed down, even if it was different in his experience.
It is, indeed, surprising, that a book about war is funny and light.
Thank you for your fantastic review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”