Review of Pariah

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Review of Pariah

Post by smolbird »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pariah" by Robert C. Swetz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you could have a superpower, what would it be? Would you want the ability to fly or to be invisible? Pariah by Robert C. Swetz is about Pariah, a homeless and horribly disfigured man with the ability to find anyone on Earth.

FBI Agent Cliff McNair first met Pariah outside his office in Atlanta. Although distrustful and disgusted by Pariah, Cliff finds himself working with the homeless man to solve missing person cases. However, it isn’t easy to work with Pariah because he’s damaged, both mentally and physically. Cliff’s distrust only increases when he finds out that Pariah had been in jail for child molestation, but keeps working with him because he can find anyone dead or alive.

While I’m not a fan of crime thrillers, I couldn’t resist reading this book because of its plot. Swetz captured my interest and held onto it firmly. I didn’t mind that the book had over 400 pages, as the plot progressed fairly quickly, and I could keep up with the story because there were no unnecessary jargons thrown in. While there were many characters, it wasn’t difficult to keep track of them. These characters were well written, and their dialogues were natural.

As much as I loved the plot, I was massively disappointed by the ending. While I’m sure that Swetz had a vision of how the story would end, it wasn’t executed well. About halfway into the story, the focus shifted from Pariah’s mysterious abilities to a police operation, which I did not like. I feel that the story would have been better if it was written as a series instead of a standalone book.

Additionally, one of my biggest gripes about Pariah is Cliff himself. While I like his character, I couldn’t help but become frustrated at his antics. His potential romantic interest, Cynthia, is an accomplished psychiatrist whose job is to treat Pariah. Without fail, whenever Cliff saw Cynthia, he would always complain about not seeing her legs. I felt that it was really unnecessary, and I reckon that the book would be 50 pages shorter if he worked on his cases instead of focusing on her figure.

I found it really difficult to rate Pariah. If I could, I would rate this book 2.5 stars. However, after much deliberation, my final rating for Pariah is 2 out of 4 stars. I don’t believe that the book was professionally edited, as it contained many errors. I would recommend this book to avid fans of crime thrillers. However, it contains descriptions of rape, mental and physical torture, and profanity. Sensitive readers should steer clear of this book.

Pariah
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

From your summary of the book, the plot is truly an enjoyable one. But I got to regret the inadequacies you came across. Welldone for an honest analysis if the book.
Signature of Grace.
Balebi Alexis
Favorite Book: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 135

Post by Balebi Alexis »

Pariah book tells the story in accordance with homeless man
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

The plot of the book seems really new to me. I haven't heard of a book with this topic and I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I appreciate your warnings and the objective presentation of the book. despite its flaws, it seems very appealing! Thanks for your work!
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

I would definitely choose to fly 😢 the story seems interesting and new of a kind. The cover also is beautiful. Thank you for the review. I don't like reading the details of rape but maybe someday I will give it a try
Tanya Torkhani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Tanya Torkhani »

Wow! This book should be a X-Men movie, this man even though he was homeless he had a wonderful gift that could help people all over the world! I love this book, won't you make this a movie, I would go see it!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems like an engaging crime thriller, so I hope the author does more editing to correct the errors and improve some parts. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The author did a good job in the characterization of the book. I love the plot of the book and I would love to read it. Good review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Even though it needs a bit of work, this does sound like an enjoyable read. I personally don't mind if the book is a bit graphic, but I appreciate the warning beforehand. I liked how informative your review is.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I'd probably steer clear of this if the ending is disappointing. Crime novels really need a solid ending for me to enjoy them. Enjoyed reading your review.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Jumana Fawmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jumana-fawmi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jumana Fawmi »

I'd probably steer clear of the book because the ending is disappointing and the amount of mistakes in the book. I believe crime novels need one focus and a clear ending. Thank you for a great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”