Review of Must Read Well

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Must Read Well

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Must Read Well" by Ellen Pall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Would you be willing to do something illegal and disreputable to achieve your goal, especially if you thought your dream would be crushed otherwise? That is the question that Ellen Pall leaves in her readers’ minds after reading Must Read Well.

Elizabeth Miller (Beth) was experiencing a horrible winter. To begin with, she planned to write her dissertation for her Ph.D. about three female novelists from the middle of the twentieth century who had an impact on the beliefs of women who had read their novels. These authors had advanced feminists’ issues in their own ways. Two of the women were happy to meet with her and provide personal information for her research. However, Anne Weil had rejected her request and had been impossible to meet, making it almost certain that Beth would be incapable of finishing her dissertation. Adding to Beth’s woes, her boyfriend just informed her that he was in love with another woman, and she was forced to move out of her home.

While seeking an inexpensive place to live, she found an ad for someone to read to an elderly, almost-blind female in her home. A private room and bath would be available for the reader. Beth was able to discern by certain clues that Anne Weil was the person placing the ad. Ecstatic, she applied for the job but, instead of giving her full name, said her name was Beth Miller. Additionally, she provided incorrect personal information, believing that Anne would not hire her if she recognized her true identity. She obtained the position and found out her job entailed reading some of Anne’s private journals to her. She was notified that she would be required to sign a nondisclosure agreement. This meant she would be incapable legally of using anything in her dissertation that she read while at Anne’s home. What is in Anne’s journals that she is so determined to keep a secret? How far outside of the law is Beth willing to go to further her career?

Must Read Well by Ellen Pall is a 293-page story of betrayal, guilt, romance, and loss. This enthralling mystery flows seamlessly from one chapter to the next until the unexpected end of the novel. The author has skillfully woven Beth and Anne’s emotions into the book. I felt like crying during the sad parts but could also easily sense the other emotions, such as guilt and fear. The sole thing I couldn’t sense (as much as I thought I would) was Beth’s sadness at her breakup with her boyfriend. However, this was a minor point.

The author is masterful in developing believable and memorable characters; they feel like they could easily be people from our own lives. The story is narrated from the first-person point of view, from Beth’s viewpoint, with the private journals written from Anne’s perspective. Therefore, the reader is allowed access to both of the leading characters’ thoughts and feelings, although Anne’s current thoughts are not always obvious. I appreciate how the central figures are slowly developed as the story progresses, giving the readers tidbits of the beliefs and personalities of the main players until their identities are fully disclosed.

I only found one minor error in the entire book, causing me to believe it was professionally edited. Therefore, as there was nothing to dislike, I enthusiastically award Must Read Well four out of four stars. I believe women who appreciate character-driven mysteries with romance would enjoy the novel the most. Occasional profanities are encountered in the novel. Subsequently, if the reader prefers avoiding books with profanities, they might want to look elsewhere.

Must Read Well
View: on Bookshelves
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I already admire how the author came up with such a story. It's not cliché and the cover is very catchy. This would be a must read but I'm not comfortable with profanities so I'll pass. Great review though.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

The plot of the story seems really intriguing to me. The things Beth has gone through and I can't imagine what things she'll do to achieve her goal. Thanks for the amazing review.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I must say, the title alone entices me to read this book. But it was the plot of the novel that drew my attention, and now I'm eager to see what happens next. But, if an author succeeds in persuading you to accept what appears to be impossible, I believe s/he has already won! Great review, thanks for the same!^^
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Intriguing storyline. Beth's story is really a touching one. It'll be a tough decision to watch your dreams die off because you refused to do an illegal act, but at same time, the consequences could be too damning. Great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Shilisia wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 04:05 I already admire how the author came up with such a story. It's not cliché and the cover is very catchy. This would be a must read but I'm not comfortable with profanities so I'll pass. Great review though.
I agree! She is very imaginative. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Rishi_reviews wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 23:45 The plot of the story seems really intriguing to me. The things Beth has gone through and I can't imagine what things she'll do to achieve her goal. Thanks for the amazing review.
I love the fact that this is about two stories: the one in the journals and Beth's story. The author did an excellent job. Thanks for reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Paluk Pathania wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 02:28 I must say, the title alone entices me to read this book. But it was the plot of the novel that drew my attention, and now I'm eager to see what happens next. But, if an author succeeds in persuading you to accept what appears to be impossible, I believe s/he has already won! Great review, thanks for the same!^^
I hope that you get a chance to read it, as I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

JamesJaphet wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 03:21 Intriguing storyline. Beth's story is really a touching one. It'll be a tough decision to watch your dreams die off because you refused to do an illegal act, but at same time, the consequences could be too damning. Great review.
It could be a hard decision to make. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

What a thought provoking question to start with. This book seems interesting with an intriguing storyline. Thanks for an insightful review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 12:26 What a thought provoking question to start with. This book seems interesting with an intriguing storyline. Thanks for an insightful review.
It was, indeed, intriguing. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I love the plot of this story. I believe it will really be a touching story. I'm happy to sense that you really enjoyed the book. Thanks for the well presentation of your review
Signature of Grace.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

GideonWrites Review wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 16:51 I love the plot of this story. I believe it will really be a touching story. I'm happy to sense that you really enjoyed the book. Thanks for the well presentation of your review
Thanks for your kind words. I hope you get a chance to read the novel!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

That is a good question. What are you willing to do to make your dreams come true. Thank you for an excellent review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Niens Now wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 03:16 That is a good question. What are you willing to do to make your dreams come true. Thank you for an excellent review.
I don't think I would do anything illegal, but it definitely makes the reader give it some thought. I appreciate you reading my review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”