Review of The Ledge of Creation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of The Ledge of Creation

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ledge of Creation" by Steve Wolf.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Derek Dacreson is quite a character. As a result of a mishap involving his calculator and a bottle of champagne, he finds himself in a unique situation. He has lost his car, houses, chicken, and all his worldly wealth acquired from his days as a top-notch financial adviser. All he has left is his heavily pregnant fiancée, who is due to give birth any day now, and his cycling team aptly named "Cogs' n' Clocks." Mother Nature is feeling bored. Having gone through great lengths to put together the evolution of civilization on the 'Ledge of Creation,' she desperately needs something new and different to spice up activities on the ledge. She decides to hold a cycling race, and she wants teams from the Earth to compete in it. With the aid of her trusted administrators, she sets about organizing the cycling classic to end all classics. Derek puts everything on the line to partake in this race. With a prize that can change his life on offer, all he needs is to convince his motley crew of cycling buddies of what they stand to gain. Can he succeed?

The Ledge of Creation is one of those books you can't get a handle on. Filled with childish jokes and downright weird banter, one can be forgiven for assuming it to be a children's storybook, but it's not. With names like "Nutjob Nigel" and "Racy Leggs," I can't help thinking I have stumbled on a long-forgotten Enid Blyton manuscript. The storyline may be pretty straightforward, but the actual story is anything but that.

I am particularly impressed with how much Steve Wolf attempts to bury us with the humorous side to every challenge in the book. His creativity with the individual characters resident on the ledge must also be commended. Every one of them is endowed with qualities only a natural writer can think of. Without that, I doubt if the book will be as enjoyable as it is.

On the downside, I did find some of the descriptions in the book pretty dull. I got the impression that the author was trying to give a blow-by-blow account of events that weren't necessary. For example, large parts of the sequence of events on the boat rides could have been summarized. It took quite an effort not to skip those pages.

Science fiction lovers will definitely like this book. It is written with language specifically directed at them. Barring the expletives used somewhat generously throughout the book, I sincerely believe children will find this book particularly enjoyable.

With its abundance of quirky characters and dry humor, The Ledge of Creation is a book a bit not like your classic fantasy or science fiction piece. The storyline appeals to a broad spectrum of individuals, and the author's writing style is commendable. The editing is good. However, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the concern I raised in the third paragraph.

The Ledge of Creation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

The story of the book seems quite interesting but after going through the review completely I'll have to pass on this one, sorry. Thanks for the insightful review.
iva_ivanova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Deviancy by Rose Linderman, Psy.D.

Post by iva_ivanova »

It sounds like an interesting story to read and I do love dry humour a lot! Thank you for the review!
gbadegesin Akanni
Favorite Book: The Freedom Building
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by gbadegesin Akanni »

Review are among the best thing i like most all suppressed the trouble of going through what you make not like be on thanks i appreciate for the review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with a peculiar style and, despite the flaws you pointed out, seems interesting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

The determination of Derek is quite fascinating and I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

I love the way the author helped in making the book intriguing, amazing creativity. Derek's determination for the accomplishment of his purpose is interesting. Good review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”